PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
I have ordered some recently and was planning on smoking it in my new pipe, dedicated to blends without latakia and non aromatics. (pretty much va,vapers,and burely) After re-reading the description on tobacco reviews I realized there is a casing of varying alcohol on the baccy, so my question to those who have had it is : Have you experienced any ghosting from the casing?
Also what are your experiences with dedicating a pipe to the type of blends I mentioned above. So far I can only see lat and aro blends leaving a significant taste/scent behind.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
You're making smoking a pipe WAY to complicated. Except for something like a Lakeland perfume-y type blend, I've never experienced "ghosting".

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I trained as a chef so my palate is pretty dialed in on may different flavors the thing about ghosting is I've yet to experience it when my pipes are well maintained. Now I'm not smoking five or six bowls a day of something like Black XX Twist then picking the same pipe up tomorrow and smoking Escudo or OGS in that pipe but I will smoke a Latakia blend in a pipe come back a week later and smoke a VaPer in it and not get a hint of Latakia. This is of course because I make sure my pipes are wiped out after each smoke and a pipe cleaner or two gets run down them..
I say sit back and Enjoy your smoke..
P.S. Six Pence is "Cracka-lacking"

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
You're making smoking a pipe WAY to complicated
Maybe to you :roll: - I was asking other peoples opinions and experiences. I enjoy dedicating my favorite pipes to certain blends.
Edit: thanks Frog, I will be doubly sure to wipe very well thumbs up sir

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Any tobacco with a strong flavor or aroma can leave behind a ghost in my experience. It's the duration that counts. If you smoke capstan in a pipe that you've previously smoked a kilo of st james flake, you can be sure you'll taste perique for a while.
Thus far, I haven't had anything from Pease that survived three bowls of something new. I haven't smoked Sixpence but have sextant and haddos, which like sixpence, are also liquor cased. That said, I very rarely smoke anything consistently and my pipes are not dedicated.
I think you'll see some overlap initially, but all should be right after a few smokes.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
I dedicate pipes for 3 reasons.
1. Because I can

2. Because I want to.

3. It helps me justify buying more pipes.
I believe this is a hobby and enjoy it how you want. Best idea when smoking a new blend is to smoke it out of a Meer; never heard of a Meer ghosting. This will help you figure out the flavor and which direction you want to go. Also you can try this with corn cobs.

freakiefrog

Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
I dedicate pipes for 3 reasons.
1. Because I can

2. Because I want to.

3. It helps me justify buying more pipes.

I believe this is a hobby and enjoy it how you want. Best idea when smoking a new blend is to smoke it out of a Meer; never heard of a Meer ghosting. This will help you figure out the flavor and which direction you want to go. Also you can try this with corn cobs.
My morta pipe doesn't ghost either same with a Meer. you don't build a cake in them then flavors are pure tobacco flavors..
I need to get me a couple of cobs to use while working in the yard or fishing. Sorry for the tangent.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I take peoples' word for it that Lakeland will leave a residual taste in a pipe, and I don't smoke extra

over-flavored aromatics that conceivably might. So I just don't worry about ghosting, and pretty much

use my pipes interchangeably. I'm more focused on getting around to all my pipes, which since I have

too many (from my point of view) requires some concentration. That nifty Chacom zulu blast, for

example...and my great old Bari smooth bent billiard ... and, and, and.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've smoked plenty of Sixpence and there's no ghost from the topping, which is very light in any case. Fire away.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I'm very finicky when it comes to cleaning and maintaining my pipes. But even with a thorough clean, Latakia's smoky presence remains. So I generally reserve certain pipes for English/Balkan blends. The rest is a free-for-all. Even with the residual Latakia ghost, a few bowls of something else will cover it up.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
I thought ghosting was a figment of the imagination or at least only a problem to those with highly trained and perceptive palates. Then I smoked some HGC Grasmere in a cob. The next day I loaded the same cob with a VaPer of some sort. Man, the taste of Grassmere was so dominant that I had to check to make sure I hadn't packed the wrong blend.
So, I now reserve pipes for Lakelands. I also have pipes that I put aside for English blends but I've made exceptions to no ill effect.
Pax

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
I have only tried Haddos Delight and Sixpence from the Pease lines. Both are of course top quality blends. I do however notice a similar flavor in both, with Sixpence passing that flavor to the next two or so bowls. I appear to be in the minority here though so it's likely that I am just sensitive to a part of the formula.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I recently read this article by Bob Tate:
Dedicating Tobacco Pipes to Pipe Tobacco Blends
There was one part that pretty much summed the whole thing up for me.
Don’t get caught up in all of the ‘rights’ and ‘wrongs’ of pipe smoking. There are very few absolute rules, most of them are opinions. I will say that you should give every technique a chance to see if you would like it or not and whether or not it enhances your enjoyment of pipe smoking, but other than that, there is only one absolutely right way of doing things in pipe smoking. And that is; if you are enjoying it, you’re doing it right.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I'm on my 3rd tin of Sixpence- Lovely stuff. I don't think it will ghost a pipe at all. I've smoked it in several pipes and I find that a small cube cut in a rather deep billiard works best for me. I can not for the life of me get any topping/casing/alcohol flavor from this one. I do get a slight "talcum powder" like sensation.... weird, but nice. I wouldn't worry about ghosting at all, a dedicated pipe?, sure if thats your thing. This blend is definitely worthy of having its own pipe-- LOVE the stuff!!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If it's a VaPer I have pipes dedicated to them as I find perique ghosts in a sense where everything will have a perique like flavor I smoke in that pipe. Of course it's alot of VaPer's being smoked but I really do notice it afterwords if I smoke a straight Va in my VaPer pipe.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
Hmmm, that's interesting Andy.
I'm new to pipe smoking (a couple of months). Recently I've become fond of VaPers like Escudo. I don't know the flavor of perique from the other things I'm tasting.
You just gave me a good idea.
loading a couple of bowls of straight Virginias and a couple of VaPers to find the common thread.
I know that's way off from what is being discussed here, but it might help me identify what the perique is doing in the blends I like. So thank you for posting :)

delro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 7, 2015
Six pence is a solid smoke, I have had a few bowls of it since it arrived in the mail. Has a strong grassy/milky taste to me (Yes I'm not sure how but I get a grass/hay soaked in milk type of flavor) Anyway I enjoy it and I don't think it will ghost at all. I was under the impression it had more of a booze topping similar to Haddo's Delight - I was wrong.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I can't comment on Sixpence, but it is a certainly a good idea, I would say essential, to have some kind of system to your pipes. Lats, Va/Per, Ky, Lakelands all have their effect on briar over time, not matter how well you clean it. I don't like even mixing Ky wih Per.

Status
Not open for further replies.