PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
This may be a dumb question question but I would like some clarification, when ya'll talk about checking the drilling on a new pipe are you referring to the point where the draft hole enters the chamber, or the alignment where the bit and the shank meet? I have a few bent pipes where I can see where the shank was drilled out then they have to change direction with the draft and there is a bit of overrun in the shank.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
VtIYzOL.jpg

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
Its a good idea to run a pipe cleaner through a pipe before you buy. If the design doesn't allow you to do so, it may cause you grief when you have to get rid of moisture. If you take a pipe (with a mortise/tenon) apart warm, you run the risk of snapping the shank. Learned that nugget the hard way. If the pipe cleaner has to be "jockey'd" through the airway to get into the shank or bowl, you could have a poorly drilled pipe. Either that or you have a bend that requires it to be that way. Drilled too high (in the bowl) can leave you with a wet mess at the bottom and a pipe that can't build a good cake on the bottom. Too low (think sewer grate) and you can get too much blockage from tobacco. A nice, open, drill with no resistance can make a pipe you life long friend.
Mike S.

Status
Not open for further replies.