PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Why do so many pipe companies use strictly acrylic stems and relatively few use vulcanite? Most of the artisan pipe makers use vulcanite so why not bigger companies. I have noticed that almost every Italian maker use only acrylic. Is it just as simple as cost per stem? Is it harder to make vulcanite stems?
Those of you who restore pipes, I am pretty sure you guys would rather see an acrylic stem on a pipe rather than vulcanite as they are simple to restore. Do pipe smokers in general stay away from vulcanite because of ease of care? There are so many pipes I would buy if they had vulcanite stems. Is it just old guys like me whose teeth hurt from plastic the only ones who care about vulcanite?

theloniousmonkfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2017
I think with the Italians it's about having a perpetually shiny stem. A well cut acrylic stem gets my preference for ease of maintenance, but they tend to have chunky buttons. I just prefer a good stem, whatever material it's made from.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Those of you who restore pipes, I am pretty sure you guys would rather see an acrylic stem on a pipe rather than vulcanite as they are simple to restore.
Not me, I enjoy bringing those old stems back to shiny black. I would say they are opting acrylic for its longevity. I have seen oxidation go all the way through a stem into the airway.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've wondered the same about the Italian factories and acrylic.
Even some Italian handmades such as Bruto Sordini's pieces have acrylic stems.
__1-3.jpeg

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
I prefer acrylic and wish more artisan carvers would give acrylic a try, if you don’t clench, vulcanite seizes to have much appeal. I have plenty of vulcanite stemmed pipes, but as I get older I buy fewer and fewer of them, acrylic is more or less maintenance free and always looks great.

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
In rod form, ebonite is about 5 times as expensive as acrylic - couple bucks a pipe over 100,000 pipes... adds up.
I would guess cheapish vulcanite blanks would be about the same cost as acrylic blanks though.
Supply in particular areas may be an issue, preference for bright colors... certainly the Italian pipes are mostly acrylic, and of course most hand-cut stuff is ebonite because it shapes so much easier (and because that crowd of buyers generally expects/prefers it).

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The modern rod stock used by many (most?) artisans does seem to oxidize at a much slower rate than those on older estate pieces.

Jul 12, 2011
I like the feel / comfort of vulcanite , but due to being lazy I don't like dealing with maintenance and oxidation issues on higher end pipe, so I opt for acrylic stems when available. I have seen some acrylic stems on some Italian pipe makers such a Ser Jac, Radice, Cav , etc. make outstanding acrylics , buttons on point and comfortable.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
The Becker Im smoking now is one of the very few Ive seen with an acrylic stem. Its a "hyper-pencil shank" lovat with a stem to match, so it's made pretty damn narrow. Quite comfortable really.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For pipes up to a certain weight, I like acrylic for ease of maintenance and spiffy appearance. For heavier pipes, Vulcanite is just easier on the teeth and I'm willing to abide the foggy oxidation and perpetual shining up. But either will do if I like a pipe otherwise; I have some small pipes with Vulcanite and it's fine. As to why pipe makers choose what they do, I suspect it is about cost, convenience, and familiarity.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Not all acrylics are the same. George Dibos made me two stems using a higher grade material that feels like vulcanite. So now I have the best of both worlds, the "give" and comfort of vulcanite and the ease of maintenance of acrylic.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
What is suppose to be the so called cumberland stem,Is it either made of acrylic or vulcanite?
Actually, both. Cumberland stems first appeared as vulcanite, with two colors swirled together. It's also made in acrylic. The acrylic is generally translucent and the vulcanite is opaque.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, do you have those other stems for your Barlings? I have noticed that my Barlings don't oxidize nearly as bad as an Upshall or old Savinelli. They are in the same range as new Dunhills I once owned.

How much does George charge for that other type of stem?
Al mentions the new type of vulcanite and some of it is great. For example I once owned 2 Ferndowns that never showed any type of oxidization. Some of my artisan pipes will show a little but I just rub some Obidisian on them and they shine back up. Eventually all my vulcanite stems will need more than just stem oil and that is when I bring them to my local b/m so he can shine them all up.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Regarding acrylic cumberland/brindle, here's a sample.
To my eye, the delicate striations of the vulcanite version isn't convincingly replicated:
unnamed-5.jpg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, do you have those other stems for your Barlings? I have noticed that my Barlings don't oxidize nearly as bad as an Upshall or old Savinelli. They are in the same range as new Dunhills I once owned.

How much does George charge for that other type of stem?
Harris, you would have to check with George about prices. The stems I had made were for a 1915 Barling sterling mounted billiard that is my father's birth year. Barling used a very high grade German vulcanite, sometimes referred to as "para rubber". So their stems hold up better than many other makers' stems.
Different British makers had different emphases regarding materials. With Sasieni and Charatan it was great wood with OK stem material. With Dunhill it was OK wood with great stems. With Barling it was great everything. That's how two of Dunhill's top level dealers, both of whom collected Barlings for their personal use, defined it to me.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jesse, that is cool having your dads birth year pipe. Are the Barlings like Dunhill where the date of the pipe is easy to see?
I like Cumberland stems the best for a sandblasted pipe. For some reason on smooths I like straight black.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
I avoid any pipe with a plastic stem. Too hard and clanky on the teeth and not very good for clenching.
I search out for real cumberland...love the green and reds. And yes, German vulc is best, little if any oxidation has been my experience.
What I dislike is how the definition of "cumberland" is blurred. I have to ask a seller or crafter, "Is it REAL cumberland or plastic look alike cumberland?"

Status
Not open for further replies.