PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Does a larger draft hole mean less chance of goop? I have no idea, because I just assumed up until recently that all draft holes were typically the same. This never crossed my mind until recently. My Savinelli is very demanding. I sometimes seem to spend more effort not making it goop, than I do enjoying it. The draft hole is rather small compared to my other pipes. My other ones smoke well. Especially my cob. The cob has a huge draft hole. Just wanted to know if I was overthinking, or if my suspicions are correct.

Thanks everyone, and happy smoking! :puffy:

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
My initial reaction was that "goop" was more due to the tobacco rather than the pipe.
But thinking about the size of the draft chamber, I think you might be onto something. Would a larger draft chamber create more of a "convection" and cook the goop into nothingness?
Hmmm...

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
Is the Sav a bent pipe? Bent pipes trap more moisture but tobacco(heavily cased/too moist) and/or smoking pace are also great contributors to goop.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
Thanks everyone for your input.
@rothnh: I have not used a filter/adapter on any of my pipes in quite a while.
@bigvan: I think I may have used the wrong terms/phrasing. Not sure. JUST IN CASE: To put things simply, I'm talking about the hole at the bottom of the bowl(Not necessarily the entire length from bowl to mouth piece)through which air flows. It seems quite small. Maybe only big enough to stuff three toothpicks tightly inside. I struggle with a pipe cleaner in this pipe. My other pipes take cleaners no problem.
@sergemoat: it is a bent pipe. What gets me, is I have other bent pipes that smoke very well, with few, to no problems.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
@Jud: do you mean carefully taking a drill, or something to that effect and making the hole just a tad larger?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Well, from a practical point of view, if the hole is small-ish, and the pipe is not smoking properly,

then the only corrective action you can take is to enlarge the hole and see what happens.

guitarguy86

Jul 6, 2012
I have one pipe that I don't care for too much. I think I'll give it a go on that one, and see how I do. If it turns out good, then I'll try the Savinelli.

strongirish

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2010
Lake Conroe, TX
Gunk is a combination of moisture and residue left behind from the tars in the pipe tobacco. A draft hole too small will concentrate it in one spot. Also the shape of the bottom of the bowl has a lot to do with this and also how much cake you have in the bottom. Opening up the draft hole should improve this. Also, a good cleaning of the bottom of the bowl should help.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Think of it Ike putting your thumb over an open hose , you build pressure but with less flow, try this puff real hard then look at your pipe does smoke slowly curl out of the stem? If not you are restricted opening the draw hole will help tremendously , but too wet a tobbaco is a no no. The old cajun

wnghanglow

Mar 25, 2012
The old Cajun gives some real good advice there, only thing I can add is yes the draft hole should effect the gurgle of goop but not nearly as much as other things such as how you smoke, type of baccy, bent or straight ect.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I've gotten 'goop' from tobacco I left out drying for 24 hours. I ended up giving up on drying since it didn't seem to work.
Instead I use non-bristled pipe cleaners down the draft hole every few puffs. little bit of hassle but it does solve the problem.
I'd like to give a Peterson system pipe a try. one of these days

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I've gotten 'goop' from tobacco I left out drying for 24 hours. I ended up giving up on drying since it didn't seem to work.
If it's not drying after that long,I have to wonder what the heck you are smoking. :puffy:

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
guit - re [do you mean carefully taking a drill, or something to that effect and making the hole just a tad larger? ] - what works for me is taking a drill BIT and not the drill itself, carefully inserting the bit in the shanks, centering it in the existing draft channel and slowly twisting the bit by hand. A 5/32" is what's in the end of a Senior Reamer, so that's what I use.
hp

les

Status
Not open for further replies.