PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
At a pipe-show years ago I picked up a copy of "Tobak News and Views" - Volume 3, No. 2, Summer 1993. This periodical was the publication of The Pipe Collectors International of Richardson, Texas; was owned by Classic Briars, Inc.; and was edited by Jack Ehrmantraut.
Beginning on Page 8 was an extremely useful article titled "Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Pipe Care and Restoration" by Robert Cooper. Does his name ring a bell? He is none other than Robert A. Cooper who currently sells pipes on eBay via his Coopersark store.
This article is a veritable treasure trove of methods which he uses to restore estate pipes, all of which I have successfully employed on my estate own purchases. The first paragraph reads, in part, as follows: "Editors (sic) note: Mr. Cooper is not in the business of restoring or cleaning pipes but has allowed us to print his article in the spirit of education. I can assure you, nobody is better at cleaning and restoring pipes than Rob. I've seen dirty old grungy pipes that he has restored to the point you'd bet money they were new and unsmoked." Apparently there was also a follow-up article which was to appear in the next issue of "Tobak News and Views," unfortunately I have not been able to find that edition.
I contacted Mr. Cooper to see if I could reproduce this article on line for the benefit of our fellowship, but he politely declined. Accordingly, keep an eye out for the P.C.I. periodical in which it was published. Your estate pipe purchases will be better for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.