PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Hello again.
So I picked up an old and scuzzy Kaywoodie Fine Line from a flea market for $3.50. It was overly caked up, dusty, the stem was over cocked and taped on to the shank. Long story short, the bowl is in nice condition and it's actually coming along. I'll invest some time into it but it should turn out to be a nice pipe. I'll post pics if my internet connection allows me to.
Here's the issue I'm stuck on... I put it through a retort and the glue that held the female part of the stinger securely in the shank, loosened and the entire thing fell out. I want to use some type of glue to permanently put it back in. I'm thinking that if I use wood glue to secure it then I won't be able to use a retort on the pipe again. I'm afraid the glue will just melt from the hot alcohol. I really would rather not use loctite because I don't know how it acts when it's dried and reheated. My neurotic nature is getting the best of me. What is the simple, reasonable and mostly nontoxic solution here? Something permanent that can withstand a retort. I thought about epoxy but that just seems like overkill.
I'll keep the pipe for myself. It'll be my first Kaywoodie resto that has the full stinger in tact. It's a three hole stinger and I'm just doing it to gain experience. I wouldn't call it a resurrection but this was one very best up pipe. I will make it healthy again so I will be proud.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I would use a good two part epoxy or even regular JB Weld or JB Woodweld which I believe is epoxy based. Now that you have used the retort why would it be necessary to use it again later on? With thorough regular cleanings I'd think it would be totally unnecessary.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks for that ejames. I have some epoxy laying around here somewhere. I'll just use that and never have to worry about it coming apart again.
The reason I may use a retort on it again is because, for now, it'll be a latikia pipe. In the future if I decide it does well with a different type of tobacco then I might want to get the inevitable lat ghost out of it. Most of my pipes are in a process of finding their own blends. I need to keep their options open.
Thank you again and my wife thanks you as well. She's tired of hearing me mutter to myself about wood glue, adhesives and fireplace cement.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Your efforts will be rewarded (in all probability). My Kaywoodie Drinkless is the only pipe I own that I use with a stinger, and it's a good little smoker. The draw is nice, the clean-up is minimal, and once I got the bit straightened out from an odd angle, it clenches nicely. I understand they've stopped making the Drinkless series, so although there are thousands (and thousands) out there, they are now a historical item.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks mso. I'm hoping it turns out to be a good one. I actually bought it so I could butcher it for the stinger. I have an older Kaywoodie Standard apple shape with a stinger that has been cut and I want to restore that one as well. The funny thing is, after I bought it, upon inspection I quickly decided that I couldn't just butcher this pipe for parts. Even though the Fine Lines aren't even a desirable Kaywoodie, I just couldn't do it. I have to restore the pipe. I decided I was going to sell it. Now, after all the time I've spent taking the oxidation off, salt treating, retorting and what not... now I want to keep it for myself! The whole thing is working out because the stingers on the two pipes are different sizes. I'm still on the lookout for a beat up Kaywoodie with the same size stinger as my old Standard but the pipe I get it from is going to have to be pretty far gone and beyond repair as I'm getting attached to ALL the pipes I come across. Oh well, I suppose the only rational thing to do is buy more pipes!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
@fluffie - I just went thru the same thing with a 99B, bought for the mortise insert, but I couldn't pull it apart (it's now for sale in that section).
I just use wood glue to reglue the stinger or mortise insert. I have a pair of nuts of the correct thread pitch for removing stingers from the stem (two locked in place, held in a vise). I have an ez-out for pulling the mortise from the briar shank.

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
That's a sweet deal on your Kaywoodie you put up ss! 25 bucks on a solid smoker. You can't beat that. I would jump on it if the bills weren't piling up. At that price, it's a steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.