PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This old advertisement seems to be looking forward to today, and to the rebirth of the John Cotton brand...
6084379ad6c502936e4f693398234c13.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Is the current version still from Edinburgh? Charming if true, not if not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Oops. Visited the smokingpipes.com tobacco listing on these blends and it turns out they are Russ O. revivals of these blends. That's a horse of a different color. I'm putting Smyrna, the strongest of these blends, on my list.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@ mso489 I guess you have been living away from the world for a while as this has been kicking around the forums for almost a year. Standard Tobacco who own the trade mark to John Cotton's among other blends approached Russ O to recreate these blends so they would be as near to the original blends as possible. There is a video interview with Russ O and Dan on the subject at www.standardtobacco.com or on the Youtube.com web site and it can be found by searching under 'John Cotton's Tobacco'. I think you will find the reviews of Smyrna has been universally positive and I believe P&C the distributor have pretty much sold out the first run of tins and have re-ordered which bodes well for the future of the brand.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
condor, yes life has thrown a few distractions in my path. Thanks for the back story and update. And sorry to turn up so uninformed. I have read an account or two of how Russ analyzes and reconstructs classic blends, and that is pretty fascinating, literally counting the component pieces of leaf in a particular blend to come up with proportions. It's almost forensic. Really cool. Despite my Christmas tobacco haul, I may have to order some Smyrna.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Smyrna is definitely my favorite. John Cotton is going to be the tobacco crawl for February and they were saying pipes and cigars will have a bundle special for it around Jan. 20.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Every time I passed Russ or Dan Johnson in the hallways at the WCPS I bowed my head and murmured "Gents, thanks for Smyrna"!

I think it's lovely stuff, which I've put in the cupboard for 2017 smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.