PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bijimangga

Lurker
Oct 24, 2018
Currently I smoke a lot of English blend, and for some blend taste sour/salty which i think is great taste. After several day when smoke the same blend I couldn't taste it again.

So what type tobacco that cause that taste? is it Perique or Oriental?

artificialme

Can't Leave
Mar 15, 2018
Maybe it's perique who do her job there. When I smoke McConnell Scottish Cake, it gave me 'maybe' almost the same notes

In most English blends it is the Orientals that provide the sour flavors, and the salty can come from the blends of different leaves. One of the reasons that you find so many different English varieties, even from the same companies, is because the amounts blended of each varietal leaf can change the overall flavors. A tiny bit of perique in a blend can be sweet and fruity, and a little more and the flavor gets spicy and peppery. Now, take in that the same differences in proportions of each leaf can greatly affect the overall flavor.
But, in my experience it is most likely whatever orientals are used that give the sour flavors. Some smoked straight can taste just like buttermilk.

whiteburleydude

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2017
Get used to it. I think its just a fact of life when it comes to pipe smoking. I can smoke the same blend 10 times and have a different opinion of it every time. One day its my favorite blend and the next day, meh. I think there are SO many variables that effect how your pipe tastes. Everything from your mood, the pipe or what you ate today. It can be a blessing or a curse, depending on how you look at it.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
This thread makes me want to have a margarita...
The new Sutliff Red Va krumble cake has that sour to it along with some natural sweetness from the va. Quite nice.

I had two martinis at New Years. I am not a drinker at all. I never care for the way it makes me feel, despite how vile it tastes. But, I was remarking about how I didn't taste the alcohol in it at all, "and it was... hmmm, sour and salty. What is in this?"

My wife said, "gin and the juice from a jar of olives."

I immediately started spewing chunks. Just the idea of drinking the juice from a jar of olives... even makes my stomach queezy now.
I will probably avoid sour tobaccos until I can smoke it with having that gag reflex trigger on me... long after the taste of a nasty martini has left my imaginations.

okiepiper

Might Stick Around
Jan 4, 2019
I enjoy the tanginess and sourness from Oriental tobaccos. It's odd for me because I dislike sour tasting foods and drinks but I enjoy it in a smoke.

bradical

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2018
The new Sutliff Red Va krumble cake has that sour to it along with some natural sweetness from the va. Quite nice.
This is spot on. Sutliff 515 RC-1 also very similar.
Brad

Wait, what? Were they trying for the McClelland vinegar smell? Or am I missing something bigger here?

I tried it when I saw the raving reviews all over. Then after trying it, I realized that no one that was posting about it was known very well for their reviews. It is nothing like McClellands... not even close. My guess is that it is raved about by guys who either have no sense of taste, or never tried a McClellands.

Yeh, I just don't understand how someone can confuse that taste with an actual McClelland. It's like not even in the same universe. But, to each their own... essence of feline evacuations.

What I would love to have seen is when the blender at Sutliff first tasted this, and then handed it to a friend... what the hell could he have told that guy to make smoking vinegar ok?

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
what the hell could he have told that guy
Cosmic, some of the blends I have had I have often wondered just this question. Did they actually have someone outside of the blender and the blender's fans try this before pushing it to market. I like to think that many people are involved before it is sold, but I am not an industry insider and admittedly have no idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.