A Place to Rest Ones Head and Befriend a Fellow Pipe Smoker.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elduderino

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2014
St.Paul, MN
I've been a member of this forum for two months and I'm always floored by the generosity of other people here. With the previous sentence noted, how about a thread dedicated to traveling pipe smokers and providing a place to stay? Business travel or leisure travel? Passing through,settle on my couch,pitch a tent in my yard. Offer recommendations for hotels so they don't have to pay city prices.
I feel this topic may help to meet fellow pipe smokers face to face and make travel more affordable and enjoyable in the long run.
If you can or willing, offer lodging or assistance in lodging recommendations in your area, leave your profile name along with nearest/largest destination. And allow to be PM'd for request.

We shall see how this rolls out! I'll go first.
I can offer 1-2 day stay Wednesday and Thursday in the SE metro of St.Paul,MN. 20-30 min drive to anywhere in the TC area.

Send a PM.

Here goes.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
elduderino, you have only been here two months. We have also seen cheats, liars, and worse. I would not mind meeting some of the guys on the forum. But my priority has to be protecting my 16 year old daughter from strangers I have only met on the internet.
That being said, if you can get to the Chicago Pipe Show in May, I would love to sit down with you in the smoking tent. It is really cool to get to match a face to a name from the forum.
Winton

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I'm in the same boat as Winton on this one. With that said, I plan on doing a cross country bike ride within the next year. My goal is to ride up to Chicago, then make my way to FT Huachuca, then back to GA. Lombard, IL I have friends I can visit and crash with, and same with AZ. However I would love to meet folks along the way, and visit some decent shops. As far as places to stay I'll either plan out camping or get hotels, and I won't be riding the interstates.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Same here, unless I've known you a long time I ain't going to your house. Just being honest, too many crazies in this world. Apology beforehand but that's just the way it is.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I would love to extend an open invitation for any of you fine folks to stay in my unmarked windowless and very comfortable full size van if you are ever in my area of Creepville, VA. You can just ignore the painted sign on the outside about the free candy, as halloween is just around the corner. If you come in costume, you will receive the "red light special" which is a victim, ahem i mean visitor favorite! You can hit me up or respond on my Craigslist ad as well, completely legit and worry free!
8)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
elduderino: A most gracious offer! And I thank you, but within minutes after the arrival of my dog and I, you would surely be regretting your kindness. Your neighbors would be in court seeking a restraining order and trying to get you thrown out of the neighborhood.
On this forum we can develop a very tenuous acquaintance. Nothing firm and knowing enough to warrant throwing open your door and welcoming one and all. I, for one, would prove very disappointing to your metal picture of who I am. In reality I am not a towering, extremely handsome and gentle man, with impeccable taste and of benign demeanor.
I am, in fact, a bearded little troll, not quite two feet tall. I am socially inept. BO makes it very hard on my 24/7 caregiver crew. Each one of them dreads bath time. A ritual of "rock, paper, scissors" and followed screaming and and an occasional bout of fisticuffs from the "winner" is the routine each and every day. Sometimes I'm not the only one physically restrained in the ward.
However, should I ever find a way out of the "home" I will surely make my way to Minnesota, carrying a wee stool so that I can reach your door-bell. "Keep the latch-string out!" I'm digging my third tunnel as you read this. This one is named "Harry." Tom and Dick were the first two. Sadly, Tom had a cave in. Dick was ten yards short of the wire.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Always happy to freely give information to someone visiting the region. If time permitted I would be more than happy to meet for coffee or a beer; might even invite someone to my home for a cookout or something If I thought of them as an Internet friend. Certainly would help in the case of an emergency. But I would draw the line on offering (or accepting) a place to stay the night.

bulletsnbriars

Can't Leave
Nov 9, 2013
Nashville/Williston
Two pipers have offered me a place to sleep in my travels, I accepted both and came out on the other side with true friends and briar brothers. Then again, I'm kind of crazy haha.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I would love to extend an open invitation for any of you fine folks to stay in my unmarked windowless and very comfortable full size van if you are ever in my area of Creepville, VA. You can just ignore the painted sign on the outside about the free candy, as halloween is just around the corner. If you come in costume, you will receive the "red light special" which is a victim, ahem i mean visitor favorite! You can hit me up or respond on my Craigslist ad as well, completely legit and worry free!
It's down by the river, your van, isn't it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0YjSIkfkbU
-- Pat

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
When traveling, it's nice to have an insider's perspective.
Best restaurants, hotels, sites to see, etc.
You could spend hours on Yelp and similar sites or you could just PM a forum member

and get the inside scoop from them.
For safety concerns, we can make this a reverse request format.

Rather than posting here where we are and that we are willing, we could post to this

thread when we are the ones traveling and would like advice from anyone in that area.
It's a good idea one way or the other.

I recently gave a fellow member dining recommendations for my area

and would appreciate the same if I were the one traveling.
For example, I'm leaving soon on a trip. If anyone knows any B&M's that are a "must stop"

in Colorado, Nebraska or Iowa please let me know ... thanks!

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Pat, correctamundo. It is indeed the van down by the river, complete with doobies and a doobie rolling machine. Shall i book you a stay, kind sir?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pat, correctamundo. It is indeed the van down by the river, complete with doobies and a doobie rolling machine. Shall i book you a stay, kind sir?
I'll bring my air brush kit, we can put Valkyries on one side of the van while I crash.
-- Pat

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Layinpipe ... you almost had a visitor ... but I prefer hand-rolled! :mrgreen:

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
I'll bring my air brush kit, we can put Valkyries on one side of the van while I crash.
Deal, we're gonna need some high powered stuff for that kind of painting though, as i mainly deal with stick figures and crudely shaped letters. I'll have to consult the cow shit in the pasture near the river and collect some creativity for us.
Layinpipe ... you almost had a visitor ... but I prefer hand-rolled! :mrgreen:
Cobguy can keep himself occupied fiddling with his fancy hand rolling business and fueling our artistic fires through artisan doobies.
Anyone else want to join the bohemian rhapsody of weirdness? Not going to lie, it is a very big van.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
About 25+ years ago, I'da rolled 'em one-handed. As tempting as the van by the river sounds, I'll leave a spot for someone else.
I gave up 'that' kind of pipe smoking many years ago.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
chances-150x108.jpg

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
Through various conversations I have met up with folks and we shared a few bowls and beers and it was great. Inviting someone I am meeting for the first time into my home.....probably not happening.
While I appreciate the underlying theme of the OP, I just don't see that as reality. Full disclosure; I am from New Jersey, so I don't trust anyone I am just meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.