PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamestang

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
i bought a beautiful pipe from ebay and i find that there are two holes on each side of the pipe bowl

i do some research on google say it called "carb"?

but i really don't understand how it works

do i have to cover it with my fingers while smoking??

whats the meaning of making the holes on it?
here are some picture from ebay

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The carb pipes I am familiar with, like E.A. Carey pipes, have the vents in the shank (maybe some other brands in the stem?) and are supposed to add smoothness with extra air in the airway. I've never seen holes in the bowl. If it is intended to be smoked with very small quantities in the bottom of the bowl, below the holes, I doubt the intended product is tobacco. It is somewhat ornamental, but I don't see it as decorative enough to have that as its principle purpose, so there's a piece of this story missing.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

The holes are the carbs. You have to hold your thumb and finger over them for the pipe to draw. I've never seen one like this and imagine it would burn your fingers pretty badly. A carb is more commonly found on cannabis pipes. A pipe like that may be smoked by someone somewhere, but I highly highly doubt it's a forum member here. It's got holes in the bowl for crying out loud, which is every pipe smokers worst nightmare. It's not a pipe that you would want to try and smoke. At least, I wouldn't. I would return it and get a pipe without holes in the bowl.

music4cash

Might Stick Around
Jan 5, 2016
I don't think you could smoke anything out that. The carbs in hash pipes come after the bowl. I bet the holes are there so you can hang the pipe somewhere as a decorative item.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it is some sort of bowl insert system, I'm surprised it hasn't surfaced on Forums before, but maybe ....

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
At first I thought it might be something similar to Mastercraft Spark Proof pipes, but the holes wouldn't go all the way into the bowl. So it's likely a decoration, it really doesn't look like it's supposed to be smoked (using anything). It doesn't look like wood to me, maybe a prop for a costume or something?

jamestang

Lurker
Jul 12, 2015
thx for everyone reply

the pipe is made of porcelain according to seller description

i havent pay for the pipe yet since the seller didnt give me the shipping cost

i really hope i can smoke the pipe, but as everyone saying its a decocation pipe n i will treat it as decocation than.....

madmurdoc

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2012
North Idaho
You'll likely have trouble smoking it with those holes. Those are not any carbs I've ever seen as they would burn your fingers and are far too big. It's likely only good as a decoration piece from what I can see. Are there any identifying marks on it, like stamps, company names etc.?
But if you do decide to smoke it, I'd suggest not filling it over those 2 holes on the side, and be sure it's safe to smoke. You said it was porcelain, better make sure that it won't be toxic (if it's coated with anything). It looks pretty interesting though. :puffpipe:

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
I couldn't tell you for sure, but I'll bet this was made to be used with corn cob inserts.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I would go along with the insert theory as the walls of the bowl look way too thin to be smoked as is. Regards the holes, I presume they are for visual effect once the insert is in place.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.