PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Below there is an image comparing the pipes. I asked many questions as to why my pipe was gurgling here and got many answers. But few mentioned the pipe itself. So the answer is there: the pipe.
My first pipe (the long imbuia Bazzanelli below) gets hot very easily and gurgles a lot. The second pipe (the short briar [duh] Savinelli) practically doesn't gurgle and its temperature doesn't get too hot. And I still smoke very intensely.
What I'm saying is that, from my experience, low quality pipes can gurgle a lot and that change of wood and quality made the difference for me.
44533073_506234433190323_4835117278091542528_n.jpg

*Edit.: without filters.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
Migth also have something to do with the Churchwarden. The longer stem can make it harder to keep it cool and by extend this also produces more vapor and in the end liquid that causes gurgleing.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I'm a beginner so I don't know if it being a churchwarden affected it, but the wood did (by logic).
Imbuia sucks.
Oh, and the pipe mustn't have been so well constructed.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
@sablebrush52 I've been drying my tobacco in the oven and it's been the best thing I've made.
But even with dry tobacco, the long pipe was gurgling.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
My first pipe was also a 'budget' churchwarden and it's the only one I recall hearing gurgling sounds from. Need to get me a Savinelli 'warden!

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
What I'm saying is that, from my experience, low quality pipes can gurgle a lot and that change of wood and quality made the difference for me.
Maybe.
I don't think coming to conclusion by experiencing one pipe is quite definitive.
There's your excuse to justify some PAD
My work here is done :)

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Poor airway construction can contribute to gurgling. Plenty of briar pipes gurgle.
This. The way the pipe is drilled is a big cause of gurgling. Of course the material the pipe is made from does matter too. Now get a corn cob pipe, as many of us advised in your previous thread as I recall, and try to make it gurgle :puffy:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
from my experience
Which is two pipes. Two. Yes, I'll concede that briar is superior to whatever you had, but we tried to give you an honest assessment of the many variables. But feel free to oversimplify and let the rest of the advice fall on deaf ears. So long as you dump tons of money into "quality" pipes, I don't care. It keeps the business rolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.