PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
It is autumn. The sun is low in the sky, the leaves have turned and winter lies ahead. Here in Edinburgh the first two equinoctial storms have passed; it is a sunny Sunday morning and even an old Rugger Bugger of a pipe smoker can wax lyrical.
I know some of you are writers, and many forum members can write very good English. We have seen posts of amusing limericks but I wonder if any have considered a more ancient form of short poetry – the Haiku? Haikus originated in Japan. Their ‘poetry’ is based on cadence (we should be good at that) rather than rhyme. They should be three lines long with each line being five, then seven, then five syllables respectively. They must represent the ‘essence’ of the subject and reflect on nature, ideally a season. The English intellectual and 2003 ‘pipe smoker of the year’ Stephen Fry considers also that they should be devoid (or at least show minimal use) of verbs. Not so easy!!

Here is a little masterpiece by the seventeenth-century poet, Basho:
In the morning dew (five syllables)

Spotted with mud, and how cool – (seven syllables)

Melons on the soil (five syllables)
I have never read a really good pipe smoking haiku, so I thought I’d have a bash (pun!) at an autumn piping haiku; one for a pipe and another dedicated to a favourite tobacco. Here are my paltry efforts; it was fun composing them though:
My Dunhill Root Briar
Fall night black the stem,

chestnut bowl with crisp leaves charged,

warm comfort in hand
SG Best Brown Flake
Loamy woodland soils,

Newly-cut hay and sweet honeyed nuts

Scent the cold still air
So, if you are in the mood and fancy a challenge, have a bash yourself – don’t be shy!! Read the above haiku descriptors carefully. I will read all haikus posted, and while this is in no way a competition if any ‘grab me by the nuts’ the author will receive from me a PM offering something choice, by way of a gift for making the effort.
Who knows, Kevin might even consider putting it in the PM poetry section!! LOL

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Apologies to Basho
The full morning bowl

reveals the sound of my fire

as the match jumps in

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
Years ago I wrote a tongue in cheek one about cigars.
Tropical smoke bomb

Pretension or tube of joy ?

Freud was the wiser

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@sallow, that's a really good one! Could you aqueeze a bit of nature/autumn in there? Basho loves ya!!
@troutface, that's great. How about a tongue-in-cheek one for the pipe or a pipe tobacco? lol

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@pete, thanks, you should. BBF is not a 'bright' as some VAs. I think I even prefer it to FVF - it is deeper and definitely has 'loamy' and 'cut hay' notes

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@troutface, OK so Dark Star is nature in a cosmic sense and 'scorching' is Autumn? I don't know where you live but here in Caledonia it's fuiken freezing!! lol
School Report Card - "troutface is a clever boy, but he could try harder!" LOL

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@kashmir, perfect!! To my mind that is an excellent piper's autumn haiku. Were you thinking of a particular pipe when you wrote it?

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
No, just this.
IMAG0002-1-1-1.jpg

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@kashmir, no slouch with the camera either, that is a lovely image. I see that your photographs have added lustre to many other posts in these forums. Thank you, they certainly give me pleasure.

craig94yj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2013
Waterford, Ct
I have not attempted this since Junior High school. It's all in fun I guess.
The leaves die and fall

Devoid of color and brown

My pipe comforts me.
What scent do I detect?

Latakia and Perique.

My pallet awaits.

Status
Not open for further replies.