PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
I'd been reading a few posts with mixed opinions concerning the Porsche Design pipe and after much consideration I decided to pull the trigger on this one. I thought she came with a fair price tag. This estate Porsche Design Pipe is an original, manufactured by Oldenkott, Germany - Circa, 1980's.
Does she provide a good smoke? I'm not sure. Does she smoke hot? Again, I'm not sure. I'll update this thread after I complete the whole sanitizing and disinfecting, polishing and buffing routine. I can say the pipe has a nice feel about it, is a decent size and not as heavy as I thought it would be. Wish me luck!
sillems15.jpg

sillems7.jpg

sillems14-1.jpg

sillems13.jpg

sillems10-1.jpg

sillems12.jpg

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
Well, I've always wondered how these things smoked. I'm on the fence in regards to the looks myself...

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Too Art Deco for me, but I hope you get loads of enjoyment out of it.

I've always associated pipe smoking with natural materials, and the man made materials throw me off a bit, psychologically.

I too am looking forward to your impressions.

I like the different look. But, I would be weary of smoking it in public. Whereas some odd or innovative design still have that tobacco pipe look, I'd be afraid that someone would assume that it was a pot pipe. Maybe it just takes the right person to pull it off, especially of they're setting at the wheel of a Porsche :wink:

Congrats!!

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I can appreciate the beauty of the design, but it's not at all what I would personally want in a pipe. I had a hard enough time accepting the silver mount on a normal Peterson! To me, metal and pipes just don't belong together. (Yes, this definitely makes me a Kirsten hater too.) :)
Bob

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
More importantly, will it start up on the first pull of the starter cord?

Sorry... only joking as I couldn't resist. :wink:
Yep, by all means let us know how it smokes, and I have the same questions as ssjones; is the bowl briar?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe every pipe smoker should own one pipe that they wouldn't smoke in public. I can't think of any

of mine that I wouldn't. Maybe only my 14" clay pipe, that might look a little exhibitionistic, like I was

longing for conversation to regale people about clay pipes. But I think I could pull it off. My churchwarden,

no problem. I guess I could look offhanded with this Porche Design pipe in my mouth, though I might have

to practice first. It is kind of dashing, very European.

durham270

(Bailey's Briar)
Jan 30, 2013
Kentucky
Yep, by all means let us know how it smokes, and I have the same questions as ssjones; is the bowl briar?

ssjones and phil67, the outside of bowl appears to be made of aluminium alloy. Inside the outer metal casing is briar which is one piece along with rest of the pipe and shank. I think on the newer Porsche Design pipes this outer metal part unscrews however this one might not as I've not tried to see at this point. She's getting the salt/alcohol treatment at the moment. The pipe was in a good condition upon arrival but the stem had some oxidation which I removed before taking those images.

Status
Not open for further replies.