PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Let me preface this by stating that I don't own or buy many handmade artisan pipes, but do own and occasionally buy from those who make classically shaped pipes well. I want to share a story about Michail Kyriazanos. I own three of Michail's pipes; a billiard, a canadian, and a bulldog. I purchased the billiard and bulldog new and the canadian as an estate. I knowingly bought the canadian with a stem that was described as having some stubborn oxidation that would not come off. The oxidation was really only noticeable in good light, but the pipe tasted funny when I smoked it. I cleaned the pipe a number of times, tried smoking only Carter Hall in it to see if the strange flavor would fade; but after many attempts to get the weird flavor of the pipe to correct itself I gave up.
I was going to resell the pipe, but thought how much of an injustice it would be to just recycle the pipe through the community and instead chose to contact Michail about the issue. We discussed the issue and after deciphering that it was most likely the stem, he asked me to send it to him in Greece so that he could make a new stem for it. The only way I knew that it was the stem and not the briar was because I had previously bought a pipe made by a new and upcoming pipe carver about 4 years ago that had been made from a piece of briar that had not been cured properly. I knew that uncured briar flavor from that experience and quickly started to determine that the canadian had more of a weird rubbery flavor than that uncured briar flavor that I had remembered. So I sent the pipe.
Fast forward to the Chicago show this past April. I met Michail at the show and picked up the pipe from him in person. He replaced the oddly oxidized black vulcanite stem with a brand new cumberland vulcanite stem. The new stem was better than the old one in terms of aesthetic and of course that it didn't affect the way the pipe tasted.
I just wanted to publicly thank Michail for his generosity, as he refused to accept any type of compensation for the materials and time spent making that new stem. I also want to encourage those who find issue with a handmade pipe to consider contacting the maker of the pipe (if possible) before just sending it off into the world of recycled estate pipes. You may be surprised to find that the issue is correctable and that the pipe can live up to it's true potential.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Great stuff.

I did find that you were able to distinguish between uncured briar and bad vulcanite, because you'd already had the experience of uncured briar, rather interesting.

We so pride ourselves with our educated palates, it seems it wood be (sic) pretty bad if you got it wrong, even w/o the previous experience.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm smoking a Michail Kyriazanos (I had to learn to spell that name!) right now reading this. As I was packing it, I thought "this is one of my favorite pipes". I would love to also meet him in person some day (and Chris Asteriou). What a good move on Michail's part! Lets see this pipe please.

M

Lets see this pipe please.
IMG_0210_zpstj7znsri.jpg

IMG_0214_zpssr2u9jvc.jpg

IMG_0212_zps6x9d0qcy.jpg

IMG_0213_zpssisbgjdc.jpg

It's hard to see in these pictures, but the shank has well distributed birdseye running down it and the bowl has a nice straight flame grain. I picked it up from smoking pipes at a very fair price back in February.
Do you have a link for his pipes?
LINK

M

Thanks Captain.
the cumberland suits it beautifully.
It was his suggestion to replace the original black vulcanite stem with the cumberland, and it was definitely the right decision. The original black vulcanite stem was well made, but I think the cumberland looks better.

M

I picked it up from smoking pipes at a very fair price back in February.
This is wrong... I just looked and I bought it on Dec. 28th, 2015. Smoked it for a month and a half and then contacted Michail.
This is a link to the original posting on smokingpipes.com
LINK

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I talk to Michail semi-regularly as part of a Google+ meet-up. (think Skype for groups)
VERY gracious and classy guy. Already one of the best, and still hungry to learn more and do better. He also loves dogs. What more is there?
Oh yeah, he lives on an island that can only be reached by boat. No bridges, no airstrips.
I encourage everyone to check out his stuff as well as that of his friend Chris Asteriou. They have both found a perfect blend of the Old Britwood aesthetic and the modern, sleeker one, and execution is uniformly outstanding.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Fantastic tale to read and appreciate! Thanks for sharing! Also, I really dig cumberland stems... almost always mesmerizing to my eyes!

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
That pipe looks really nice. Thanks for the link.

I always feel very good when I hear stories about generous and honest people that do good things around them. You so rarely hear those. Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.