PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
Great news! One of my underlings or co-worker would be the polite term; is thinking about smoking pipe tobacco! He usually smokes cigarettes, and if I can convert him to pipe tobacco he'll be the first friend I have to share this hobby with in person.
The thing is, while I was willing to part with one of my meerschaums to give to him, he didn't feel too comfortable with meers after I was done explaining to him how fragile meers are and how to care for them. He said he'd much rather have a small briar pipe that he could stuff in his pocket and not worry too much about some abuse. Now I do have one briar pipe, but I can not part with it because I inherited that pipe from my late boss. I know how to care for briar pipes, but when it comes to what briar pipe is best for a beginners I'm clueless.
Any suggestions on what briar pipe to purchase for my friend would greatly be appreciated. The only thing I'm certain about is that his first pipe should probably be a full bent pipe so it's harder to accidentally slurp some bacco juice. Also if you have any suggestions on what pipe tobacco to start him on please say so. Other than what briar pipe to give to him, I'm planning to give him some Hobbit's Weed and some Hearth&Home LJ Heart Virginia (I don't think I should give anything with latakia or perique to a beginner).

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
I would get him a couple of corn cobs to let him try it first, then if he is enjoying it, invest in a briar. If he smoked cigarettes, I think the biggest mistake is to give him aromatics. They might taste nice at the start, but an ex smoker will grow sick of them quickly - better to stick with nice Virginia and Burley blends.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
For my money I'd go with a Savinelli. Great pipes and even their less expensive line will deliver a good smoke. Glad to see another convert. Once you get him started There'll be no holding him back. Also, turn him onto this site and he'll be hooked.

buzzbegone

Lurker
Sep 28, 2013
I'm thinking about buying him a Savinelli Roma Rustic pipe (the one with the apple bowl), its about $80. Good lord, I had no idea briar pipes were so affordable, compared to what I pay for meers. I do want to get him a nice pipe, and even though he works under me, he's no stranger to my family. We've known each other for years working together, attending dinner parties, BBQs, his wife and my wife are friends, ect. I kinda regard him as a little brother sorta and he is younger than me. He smokes his own cigarettes per say (roll your own). The reason I wanted to start him off on aromatics is because he always compliments on the aroma when I smoke aromatics around him. Plus his wife always complains about his cigarette smell, but she doesn't mind the smell of what I'm puffin. I will throw in some virginia and burley blends though to be on "his" safe side.

pipeherman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 13, 2013
No knowledge of this myself, but I hear a good blend to give when a former cigerette smoker needs some nicotine is Prince Albert. Perhaps somone can confirm or deny this?
Either way Savinelli is a good choice. Butz Choquins maybe also?

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
I would get him a couple of corn cobs to let him try it first
+1 on the cobs, if he doesn't like it no big deal it was a cheap cob instead of making an investment on a briar even if it is cheap. But if your set on a briar brands like Dr.Grabow and Medico are good for starters, also fe.ro pipes are also great starter pipes on the cheap (around $40 in Idaho).

~Ron

erichbaumer

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I see what you mean about the aromatics, but I'd suggest getting him/suggesting to him at least one Va, Va/Per, Va/Bur, etc, for something that will give a nice nic hit.

The Savinelli is a great choice, if the price looks good to you I'd say go for it and good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Given that he's something of a friend of the family, I think the Savenelli you've selected sounds appropriate.

If you knew him less well, cupojoes has some nice unifinished Sav's for about half that price, and though they

look raw when delivered, they brown up beautifully (a bit like a meer) with use. It's most gracious of you to

want to give him this gift. Whether he takes up pipe smoking on a regular basis or not, I think he will prize

the handsome pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.