Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

A Piece of Coal Turns into a Diamond

(6 posts)
  1. piperl12

piperl12

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently came across a pipe that to be honest really liked the shape of but found the bit to be too thick for my liking. I never smoked it, I think I got about four bowls in it before I gave up on it and it went in a box. After a bunch of moves my skills have gotten better with a file and I know exactly what bit thickness I like, so out come the verniers and away I went with the file. A dozen or so bowls later it is finally breaking in nicely and I find it to be a great little pipe. It is a Julius Vesz Oxblood panel and not an expensive one as I recall from the early 90's. I might have paid $70.00 back then when most of his pipes where $300.00 plus. Anyone else ever rediscover a jewel after years of thinking it was a dog?

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. latbomber

latbomber

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a old van roy estate pipe I bought for $11.It looks awesome but it had a terrible lakeland ghost in it and gurgled and was a terrible smoke. One day I sat down and took the bowl back down to almost bare wood, and removed a metal inner tube from the stem and bam! It's now my dedicated VA pipe and nothing else will make due during the summer.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. blueeyedogre

blueeyedogre

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I found a blasted Canadian in a basket that was stamped " Captain Black" and figured it had something to do with the tobacco. I bought it for the shape and later found out it was a Orlik Bond St. pipe from the late seventies, early eighties.

"Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong." - Corinthians 16:13
    "Let us be English or let us be French . . . and above all let us be Canadians." – Sir John A MacDonald
    "The world was to me a secret which I desired to divine." - Frankenstein, Mary Shelley
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. petes03

petes03

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice! I like the shape and the rustication on it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  5. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Several pipes I have misunderstood and then come to revere. One or two Petersons took a while to break
    in, then suddenly burst into bloom as fine smokers. A recent pipe I thought was drilled wrong, until I took
    off the stem and discovered and removed (easily) a stinger. A while back, I was finally convinced to try a
    really small pipe (Group 1) and discovered these are not toys or novelties but have good use for short smokes
    and other purposes. A nice gift pipe looked like it had defective finish until I discovered it was just adhesive
    from a price tag that had been removed. Once I got it buffed up, it turned out to be something of a beauty,
    all the way from The Netherlands. This happens all the time. You don't always know a good thing when you
    see it.

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. taerin

Eric

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

They turn people into diamonds too now, kind of neat!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDCi04Hxfwk

"The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time."
    Mark Twain
    Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   cigrmaster, ben88, renfield, szconrad, paulfg, upnorth1, canadianpuffer, pipesmoker30, hoosierpipeguy