A Peterson Meerschaum for $20 Bucks!

(17 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by numbersix
  • Latest reply from numbersix
  1. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have to crow a little about my recent estate purchase (not yet rec'd). A Peterson block meerschaum for only $20.50. I am no expert on Meers, but that seemed too good to pass up.

There were only 5 bids, I thought for sure I didn't have a chance. I just hope my crowing won't become crying once it is rec'd.

From the mediocre photos, it looks to be in decent condition - even the bowl appears to have no cake. The stem needs some attention (oxidized, teethmarks), but I am hopeful I can fix it.

"Be seeing you"

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. uberam3rica

Uberam3rica

Mod

Login to Send PM

I'd say thats a great deal. The chamber looks like theres no cake, and the pipe it's self looks to be in good condition. The stem needs some cleaning, but that's an easy fix. You can really get some amazing deals on ebay if you look hard enough.

As long as I got a pipe full of baccy and a nose full of snuff, I'm a happy camper
    Cigarettes are an addiction, cigars are a hobby, pipes are a religion
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. coalsmoke

coalsmoke

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent score, #6! Some light filing, sanding, and polishing up will fix that stem no problemo. I take it you're a big fan of 'The Prisoner'? Great program...'Be seeing you' too!

Russ
    Smoking a pipe is true relaxation...everything else is too much like work.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. eibhir

eibhir

Login to Send PM

That looks like a great pipe! Good job!

A smile will always keep them guessing.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. ghost

ghost

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Awesome, congrats Six!

(I snagged my Pete Meer at an antique store recently for $17...)

Matt.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback! Very excited to receive it. Looking forward to getting it into tip top shape.

I am wondering if there's anyway to date it? From the photos it seems to only say: "Peterson Block Meerschaum"

@ghost:

(I snagged my Pete Meer at an antique store recently for $17...)

Nice!

@coalsmoke: I

take it you're a big fan of 'The Prisoner'? Great program...'Be seeing you' too!

Youbetcha, big fan of that show.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That's a great score, Six!

Yours is an African Meerschaum, made on the Laxey's on the Isle of Man and were sold, in various shape, finishes and colors, at least through the 1980's -- I purchased my two Pete meers in the early to mid 80's while living in Europe.

Cleaning is a bit touchy. I know alcohol's a no-no and that meerschaum is highly absorbent and can actually dissolve in water, so I have been cleaning mine normally but without either. If you of and/or find a proscribed "deep cleaning" technique, please advise

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Rothnh - that's great info - thanks a lot.

As for cleaning the meer, I appreciate the advice. I really have zero clue on that subject, but I am hoping it won't require any serious work. If it does, I might just send it out.

Posted 1 year ago #
  9. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A petey for 20 or under to me would always seem like a great deal. nice find

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  10. nsfisher

nsfisher

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I get an Estate Meer or Meer lined, I clean the bowl and shank with Q-tips dipped in alcohol, or paper towel twists moistened in alcohol. Just a quick contact to the Meer surface only. Quick wipes or quick twists is all I dare.

If at first you don't succeed, have another bowl.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  11. User has not uploaded an avatar

instymp

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I like it!

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks guys - really looking forward to receiving it.

When I get an Estate Meer or Meer lined, I clean the bowl and shank with Q-tips dipped in alcohol, or paper towel twists moistened in alcohol. Just a quick contact to the Meer surface only. Quick wipes or quick twists is all I dare.

Thanks nsfisher. I will have to do more research and see what I should attempt. My hope is that the bowl is as clean as it looks in the (not-so-clear) photos. I will post an update once rec'd, with a before and after.

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. captainsousie

captainsousie

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I love my Pete meer and I hope yours is as satisfying for you.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  14. rlunderhill

rlunderhill

Login to Send PM

Great price for a nice pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. sothron

Perique

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The more threads liken this I read, the more I want a Meer. Damn that PAD!

Comments on how a Meer smokes vs briar?

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. simnettpratt

simnettpratt

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Cool pipe! Hey, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to clean my SMS Dublin meer with alcohol! I've been doing the overnight salt and alcohol treatment just like with my briars; guess I've been lucky.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. numbersix

numbersix

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well, I rec'd my meer and I have to say: boy did I luck out! This pipe is in near mint condition. It looks way worse in the photos. There are no teethmarks (even tho the seller said there were). The bowl was well taken care of. No cake. No gouges. I would have sworn it was only smoke a couple of times, except the stem tells a different story.

All that was needed was a general wiping down and a scrubbing of the stem. Unfortunately I won't be able to smoke it yet because I have the flu! So I will report on that next week.

I didn't know I wasn't supposed to clean my SMS Dublin meer with alcohol! I've been doing the overnight salt and alcohol treatment just like with my briars; guess I've been lucky.

From what I've been reading, you have been lucky. From what I've learned, you should use only 40% alcohol base. Don't use water, maybe a mild spit shine is all you should do. I read one early post on these forums of someone washing their meer in the sink, only to have the whole thing crumble into pieces!

That scared me straight.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   pitchfork, mrgunnar177, freakiefrog, newbie, brass, jmsutton, oakbear, andystewart, bubblehead33, papipeguy, mcitinner1, ivapewithfire, daimyo, mso489, huntertrw, wyfbane, conlejm, renardja, crpntr1, jd11, rsuninv