PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
Purchased this Comoy's from a gentleman in the UK. Only one picture was available and not much of a description. The rim looked rather beaten up but decided an Old Bruyere might fit in the meager collection. Some interesting markings on the pipe: On the right side: Kirby Beard&Co. Underneath: Paris. And underneath that: FABRIQUE EN ANGLETERRE.

So to the web for some info. Here's the first thing I found:

300px-pipe-comoys_old_bruyere-21.jpg

Sure looks like the same pipe! Further searching reveals that Kirby Beard&Co. was a very famous Department store in Paris. Was quite the thing in the 20's and thirties. They sold only the top-of-the-line goods including China, furniture, jewelry and smoking supplies. Apparently Comoy supplied at least some of their pipes. I don't know when Comoy's introduced the Old Bruyere line but was probably in the mid thirties. Love the French line for Made in England. I guess that was for the local folk.

Here's the before:

s-l16001.jpg

img_0525.jpg

img_0524.jpg

img_0523.jpg

img_0521.jpg

Here's the after with some cleaning and polishing:

img_0543.jpg

img_0535.jpg

img_0541.jpg

img_0540.jpg

Anyone else have/seen a Parisian Comoy's ?? All coments appreciated !! Hoppes

armonts

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2018
France
Comoy was French from St.Claude originally emigrated to Angletrerre, for several generations, but having probably still kept contacts in France.
And at the time around the 30s there is a fashion in France for English products, furniture and others ...

It was rich and classy, hence the mention "fabriqué en Angleterre" ! :D

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Excellent!
How did you remove the two dings that show in the first photo? I've tried steaming a set of dings with some but not complete success.

hoppes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 15, 2017
jpmcwjr
The two little punch-like marks came out with a little steam and polish. I use a little technique of steaming with a solder station and a small flat tip on the iron. That way I can control the level of heat in a very small area that matches the defect. Seems to work well for me. I did top the pipe very lightly to make it flat--there still is a small chip in the inner rim that I left. Just part of the life of the pipe ! Hoppes

Status
Not open for further replies.