PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 1, 2012
Well, it had to happen sometime. I haven't bought a new pipe in about 3 months so it was about time. When I went back to a nearby tobacco stand to get some interesting tobaccos I hadn't seen before I saw a nice pipe that looked good for clenching. Since I hadn't brought a good clenching pipe I took a look and decided to give it a go.
It only took about 10 minutes to decide to fire it up and lunt home. I smoked cool, dry and sweet with a bowl of Carter Hall and I think if I need a lunt, it will be my go-to.
Finally, here's some pics. The tobaccos are Kohlhase and Kopp Pipe 66 and Limited edition 2012. Both are aromatics which I tend to steer away from but they are reviewed highly so what the hell. The pipe is a Rattray's Terry in about a group 2. Sorry the pics are crappy, maybe I can do better later.
20140920_143024-600x337.jpg

20140920_143037-600x337.jpg

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks. I think, but I'm not sure, that this line was made by BC and I'm not sure about the other lines. Either way, it smoked well.

yazamitaz

Lifer
Mar 1, 2013
That's awesome Cap'n. Have you found any other tobaccos there that you like but can't get in the US.
Cheers,
Dan

May 31, 2012
Cool!

The Rattray's looks like a perfect lunting clencher, good choice there.
Interesting tobacco too, nice tin art!

...and warning labels don't seem nearly as bad when they're written in a language I don't understand!

:)
Sidenote:

I used to collect camouflage from all around the world. You think pipe collecting can be frustrating? Certain variants of camo can be exceedingly difficult to find. I like the older organic stuff mostly, but Latvia has one of the more interesting digital patterns in a big pixel style, the Nacionālie Bruņotie Spēki pattern is pretty neat,

http://camopedia.org/index.php?title=Latvia

...but all of Latvia's patterns, as well as the other Baltic countries, is in pretty high demand and often sell for pretty hefty sums, if you can find/source some of the authentic state-issued stuff for reasonable prices, you could make a good lick for a major PAD fund! :!:
Another sidenote,

in another thread I think I remember you were talking about how you'd like to contact Senatorov but couldn't find a current contact...he sells his pipes on the German ebay every now and then (for great prices usually and often feature his "deep blast" style), so he is recently active and you may be able to contact him thru his ebay page...Hope this helps,

http://www.ebay.com/usr/senatorovpipe?_trksid=p2053788.m1543.l2754

:

:

:

...some of his recent stuff:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&_ssn=senatorovpipe&LH_PrefLoc=2&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2Fm.html%3F_nkw%3D%26_armrs%3D1%26_ipg%3D%26_from%3D%26LH_Complete%3D1%26LH_Sold%3D1%26_ssn%3Dsenatorovpipe%26_arr%3D1

:

:

Take good care and continue checking in and reporting with us!

:puffy:

Aug 1, 2012
Mlc, you are my hero. I'll contact him and see if I can set up a meet/commission.
Have you found any other tobaccos there that you like but can't get in the US.
There are the Bentley tobaccos that I've seen here and not in the US but I haven't tried those yet. The rest seem to be available stateside.
As for the pipe, here's a little more info. First, she is a stunner of a shape. A nice 1/4 bent apple with a nice, thick shank (dare I say this is a fat prince?) is a good look and this one is well executed. The balance and weight are great for clenching and the engineering was spot-on. The grain looks passable and the fills are well-blended/hidden under the finish. The taste was also rather good and, as I said earlier, the smoke was cool and dry. Like many continental pipes, it is drilled for a 9mm filter which was nice for the moisture aspect but made it a bit tricky to run a cleaner. On the bad side, the stem engineering could be better. The button is a bit thick and the stem bite is as well. The lucite stem is a bit softer than some I have felt but nothing like a good-soft vulcanite for clenching. That said, it is a small chamber as pointed out earlier so it's not like you're clenching it for more than 30-40 minutes. On balance, I would say that for a pipe that cost around $50 new it is a rather good deal and a great smoker to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.