PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
IMG_2125.jpg

OK all you S. Holmes fans have you ever tried to light your pipe with your magnifying glass?
I was sitting on my patio enjoying a warm sunny afternoon smoking my pipe and letting my mind wander aimlessly (One of the great joys of pipe smoking is it not?) when the idea came to me. I was first introduced to magnifying lenses by my grandparents who always kept several handy for reading fine print and looking at photographs. It was a treat us kids looked forward to when visiting to fetch the lens and sit at my granparent's kitchen table and inspect all kinds of objects. Ever since then I've always had a lens of my own. I can't recall now how I learned to focus the light of the sun into an intense beam hot enough to catch things on fire. One day my older cousin and I caught a galvanized trashcan full of newspaper on fire with a lens. In a panic we put the lid on the can but that didn't stop the combustion. A huge plume of white smoke wafted up above the neighborhood. I can't believe we didn't get caught!
Anyway I went and got my magnifier from the office and returned to the patio. Once in the sunlight I directed the beam down into the bottom of the bowl I had smoked down to the last third or so. The concetrated beam of solar energy instantly started the tobacco buring without a flame. The lens actually worked pretty well for reaching down into the bottom of the pipe's bowl compared to the regular lighter I usually use. And it's windproof. Obviously the lens lighting method won't work at night or on a cloudy day but still an entertaining diversion for those of us who like playing with fire.
IMG_2124.jpg

IMG_2126.jpg

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
You're right herbinedave it is a 303 standard. It's the first System I ever bought and the one that started my System addiction. :D It has awesome flame grain on both sides and I often wonder why it didn't make a higher grade. Smokes as well as my other premier grade 303s but it must have a small flaw somewhere. None-the-less it will always be a special one to me.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
:worship: Bentmike

Gonna have to try lighting my cigar this way

I have seen an optic cigar lighter, albeit a long time ago.

I have a small pocket lens that I'll start carrying when it's windy out of doors.

Not a bad idea for those fishing trips where you have to contend with a stiff breeze out on a lake.
:puffy:

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Never tried it with a glass but did once with flint and steel. When I'm in the deer woods I always keep a hand full

of 'dryer lint' and used it once to see if I could do it. Strike your flint with the steel striker over a small pile of lint... when it's going, set it on top of your tobacco and puff away. (Tastes a little like bluejeans for a bit but it goes away).

thebadkitty

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 29, 2012
Albany, Oregon
Bentmike thankyou for this thread! Fun! So of course I had to run out and try it, and of course my girl catches me like she always does when I'm playing with my toys.

"You're such a geek." she says.

"Yep." says I.

Best bowl of the weekend. :wink:

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
@bentmike....lol that's great. I use to set things ablaze as a kid with my magnifying glass too but tobacco is a new one... :clap:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
martiniman: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=A_closer_look_at_the_famous_Peterson_Standard_System_Pipe

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
Makes me wonder if I set up my Meade LX-200 telescope and pointed it at the Sun with an eyepiece that can see a Galaxy 20 million light years away, I could possibly start a fire that would consume Washington D.C.?

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
As a teenager, this was the only way to light the pipe while sailing; it was too windy for anything else (no zippos in Spain at that time). We got the idea from "Tintin"; they use this trick to light Captain Haddock's pipe.
My father has still a neat lighter. A convex mirror with a special hold for a cigarette that focuses the light on the cigarette tip. He used that one for mountaineering...
Good memories! Oh, by the way. I really burnt my briar with this method. Not for the shaky environments.

kennerth

Can't Leave
Jul 30, 2011
Very nice! As my eyes go, there are more magnifying glasses appearing around my house. Just be careful not to make a spectacle out of it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.