A :"Novice review" of H&H WHITEKNIGHT!!!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

6 Fresh Castello Pipes
4 Fresh Scott Thile Pipes
48 Fresh Savinelli Pipes
New Cigars
36 Fresh Tsuge Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Hello Novice here again,

Seeing all the baccy that has been talked about in the forum i decided to try Hearth and Homes White-knight. The thought was a little daunting, a remix of a classic well loved blend.
A little back ground first on this blend. White Knight is a newer blend from Hearth and Home and it has been getting alot of attention namely because its a remix of the fan favorite Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture. One of the first blends of Balkan Sobranie came out in the 1920s, it had a nice mix of Latakia, orientals, and Virginias. This blend became a legend all its own with its one of a kind taste, and has been copied and remade dozens of times over.
Ok so my review is just that my own personal experience written down to help those who haven't tried this blend yet. To help clarify my thoughts i looked for 6 categories and rated them in 1-5 format. Dive on in and join my ride of one of the pipe worlds new blend.
Im looking at this tin and thinking,"How on earth to start...." The pop and hiss as i open the tin and the scent that poked out and said heya, one of the best tobacco smells i have every had to date. I peel back the white wrapper and see this plastic disk on top and its Christmas time. I look at this hockey puck of tobacco and start poking and its as solid as can be expected from a vacuum sealed tin. I started setting up a little paper towel and my work space so i can really get into this baccy. It is very firmly packed not cheap or chintzy in the lest.

The tobacco it self is full or color and had an almost bittersweet and smokey scent. I pulled the baccy from its block and folded my paper over and let it air out for ten mins before the first smoke.
Boy was i surprised by that first smoke, almost knocked me over. I packed my pipe like its described in the forum, dryer then you think and looser then you think. My draw was nice but a little to loose so i put in a little more baccy and did the daddy press and then baby press into the pipe. the draw was nice and the char light went off without any issues. Now while i am holding the smoke in i got a nice first hit of sweet and then a warm smokiness started taking over. Now i proceeded to give this blend ten rounds to get the fullest picture i could giving my limit experience with pipe tobacco.
My first five bowls was at work, thanks you night shift haha!! By the third bowl i was really getting a good idea of how this blend tasted to me. I have smoked cigs and love my dark cigars so i have no issues going five rounds with Sir knight. The nic hit for me was minimal. This baccy you have to give at lest two good bowls if not more before you get that click, for those who are not explores and are looking for the grail of baccy you might want to hold off on this one if you don't have much experience. But for those looking to try new things or with more exp dive in and be ready for a great journey. By bowl number five i was really sad my time was up with this blend. It has a nice complex of tastes that really get going once you've given it a fair shot. To me it has a sweet, mellow smokiness. Like an aged steak its beauty comes to you once you let it melt in your mouth for a bit. Savor the smoke, this smoke was a nice clear white for me and i enjoyed every bit of it.
Now my next five bowls i tried different drying times and packing and found that if i wanted a stronger taste to just take from tin and pack firm but not to tight in my pipe. For a lighter and slightly sweeter taste i found to let it dry for an hour and doubly pack it in my pipe. By double i mean fill the pipe and press down and then refill and just push it below rim with very little pressure. For me this tobacco has so many great qualities it was very hard to nail them all down. But here are my six, complexity, sweetness, smoothness, tin/room note and level of difficulty.
I give this a perfect score of 5 for complexity. Every time i thought i had this baccy nailed down it changed and a new sneaky flavor would come out of hiding. Not just from bowl to bowl but from sip to sip i found a new thing i liked about this baccy.
Sweetness i only gave a 2 outa 5. This would be a good blend for those that love the baccy to speak for its self with no extras. Nice sweetness much like a bitter sweetness that didnt over power the other characteristics.
Smoothness was a 4, this smoke never bit me and every sip every puff went down nice and easy. I even blow this out my nose and there was no burn. Just a nice relaxing smoke.
Tin note was mind blowing for me but i am trying to be objective here so its a 3 because while i loved the tin note it is rather strong on that first opening.
Room note was a 5, this smell will stick with you all day. SO if you are in an enclosed room or in your car be warned. I came to work tonight and can still smell this in my office. Its a nice smell to me but its strong enough to stick around and not let go.
Now for difficulty level. My relights did happen alot my first five bowls but on the next set i found i only needed one re light a bowl. Thats mostly because i would write and forget to sip for a min. This baccy will play well with a new comer or an old pro of the pipe. I give it a 3 for it is easy once you get used to how it plays around with your taste buds and find how you like it to go down. Id give this one a good char light and then one long draw and it was good to go for the rest of the bowl.
So my wrap up thoughts, this baccy will be welcomed into any pipes rotation whether you are new like my self or a vet. Id recommend anyone looking for something new to try this blend, you like lats or va give this a go. I myself didnt seem to get that oriental taste i thought i would but its there and its more like a ninja and comes out and gets you when your not pay attention.
Complex:5

Sweet:2

Smooth:4

Tin Note: 3

Room Note:5

Difficulty:3
I hope everyone enjoys the review and finds it helpful when you are making up your mind on getting this blend. To me ill be holding onto my two tins for now and keeping one sealed for a year and give it another review once its aged a little. My open tin will be gone shortly...-starts puffing away on his next bowl- See you all around the forum. Thank you and Gnight pipers.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Like an aged steak its beauty comes to you once you let it melt in your mouth for a bit
Nice analogy and review ... now I want more WhiteKnight AND a steak! lol

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Lol thanks guys. It really is a nice smoke but could put off new pipers. First time i have ever had a blend like this. One thing i noticed, ive done 11 bowls with my cob and its barely put a dent in my tin of baccy.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Very good review Novice. You're definately off to a good start and you seem to have a knack for it. Twenty reviews in you'll be writng like a pro - I do recommend a little more proofreading though!
By the way you sold me on the White Knight!

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
I was looking forward to your comment dottie. I am glad you liked it. White knight will be a great addition for you. I did my best on the proof reading, Ive never been a reader/writer but i love to study things like history and science lol. Ill be doing some reviews for the cheaper stuff and i already have an idea for a side by side of a tin brand vs a bulk version. For an example, the private stock of Molto Dulce vs its bulk creme brulee version.

elliott

Might Stick Around
Apr 21, 2014
Awesome review, I'm ready to pick up a few tins now for smoking and for cellaring. Thanks for the write up.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
I'm starting to ration my first order since they are already out. I can't wait to truly stock up on this amazing stuff.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Novicemaker
Really nice review, especially as a first attempt.
I will agree it is a blend that everyone should try, but it is not my favorite. As I understand it, it is a 'mate' to Black House, but just doesn't make it for me.
It just missed my mark, but I'm not able to explain it in prose.
Still, everyone who likes Balkan Sobranie should give it a try.
Sorry, I can't be more verbose.

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Thank you, feeling very proud of my first shot at a review. Allan no worries my friend, like i said in my review i think everyone should try it but for me ive rethought my idea of my open tin. Ill be sharing my tin with others to show them what a decent medium bodied pipe smoke it.
My sealed tin will stay that way till it gets a year on it and ill be giving it a try again. I dont think it will be in my rotation but more of a lets try that again baccy. I will say one thing, after having given it such a decent go and then go back to my aros i find them lacking in the body now. So sad lol.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
You did a fine job reviewing and I'll give you extra credit because of your effort and the fact that you've only been at it for a short time. I read your careful review a couple times so I could effectively read between the lines. I was able to find out out what I needed to know about this new blend (which I've yet to try). What you've described to me sounds like a very good Balkan, which is what I so want it to be. I'm getting that it's a Latakia forward mixture as you mentioned your inability to single out the orientals. I'm no stickler for details and don't like to use a dictionary to translate a tobacco review simply because my pallet is not evolved enough. What you so simply described is something I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy so THANK YOU Novicemaker for an excellent review!

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
Nice review, novice ! I have two tins of WK that will be here tomorrow. Your review is timely. I look forward to comparing my experience with yours. Great job. Now I really looking forward to trying the WK !

novicemaker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 12, 2014
Well like my name says i am new to pipe smoking so i am very happy to see all the nice comments. My main goal is to help new comers find the good baccy and work out what they will like. I read a lot of this forum and found that peoples taste change over time. So i figured why not get new pipers into the good stuff early and hopefully enjoy the journey.

hotshot

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2014
I just lit a bowl of WK !!!! My detailed review is.... It's good. I like it. Is it my "go-to" tobacco, prob not but it's really nice on the first light and first bowl. More as time goes. It's worth the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.