PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I have ~50 pipes, more cob than briar, and ~150 pounds of tobacco.
Given those numbers I still ogle expensive pipes and must stifle the incessant urge to cruise ebay and my favorite pipe vendor sites. And at the moment I have no less than than a half-dozen new tobaccos I want to buy.
That I don't need more pipe stuff is obvious, but oh! do I want it. I don't think about buying shoes though I'm now walking on the soft padding under the sole, the soles themselves having been cut off months ago, after wearing out. My wardrobe is small and afflicted with one or another malady; the best word to describe my appearance is slovenly. You would think that I would be scheduling money to address these issues, but I'm not; instead I am lining up the pipe purchases, above.
I've been like this since I took up the pipe 15 years ago. Am I going to be like this until death? Isn't there a time in one's pipe smoking life when one wises up and declares enough is enough. I'd like to kill one of those guys who are happy with a single Grabow and a can of Captain Black, but not before they tell me their secrets:).

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
You are SOL. 8) With enough effort you can become critical of the pipes you buy thus limiting your purchases.
Sadly, there is never enough. I've tried arbitrary limits and that worked for awhile but then I scored a sweet pipe rack with drawers and it holds 22 pipes. So, back to pipe buying.
PAD should really be in the DSM. It just gnaws at you internally and forces you to rearrange your priorities.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
Only pipe smoker I've actually ever met had a kaywoodie and a bulk bag of vanilla cavendish. He smoked 'em til he killed 'em. Told me a story about an old chimney he had that he smoked all the way through the bottom of the bowl!

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Yours is an incurable affliction. You will die wanting another pipe, and with an urge to add to the stockpile of that favorite blend. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You're preaching to the choir with this one! :rofl:
I just bought some new shoes for work and balked at the prices even though

it was 1/3 of what I spent last month on tobacco alone! :crazy:

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I'm going to die wanting that next pipe. Very well said. I could spend $20K in a few days and $50K in a week on pipes, pipe tobacco and cigars. Wouldn't be hard at all;).

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm not one to have the PAD problem. I've seen some nice ones that if the time and money is right, I'll pick them up, but I dont want to be the guy that has so many pipes I never smoke them all.
Now the TAD is another story. I usually have been pulling the trigger on at least two orders of at least $100 per month. Granted my want to try new blends is there, but I'm narrowing the field down from what it used to be. It's now a matter of finding the stuff I enjoy, and then stocking up on said blends. At any given time, I always have a working shopping cart going. I still have a massive amount of blends I haven't tried yet, but I'm still buying more. But you know how first world problems go right? :lol:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Pick out a good shopping cart, one without the squeaky wheel that spins when you push it. You'll need that cart to keep your "treasures" in when you become homeless after you blow the mortgage money on a seven day commission. Beyond that just a few trash bags to keep everything dry and matches, you'll need matches. Pipe collecting is an incurable illness that affects us differently than most collector types, we never know when to say when. Oh, btw, you should be able to haul at least 250 pounds of pioe tobacco if you get one of those heavy metal carts. The plastic Walmart carts are for the wanna-be's. :)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Yep, SOL. Between piping, antique razors, and antique leatherbound books, I am too. Obsessions are costly!

wolfe64

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 24, 2015
Ontario Canada
I used to find myself sourcing out old stereo equipment on the "For Sale" websites and flea markets, and now even though I just started this journey I find myself looking for pipes and related equipment.

One more hobby for the mancave !!!!!
Mark

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Just PayPal-ed Anne Julie $21,000.00 for my 14 day set. She had a friend run a credit check; in the summary it said "Collect the money up front. This guy hasn't got a dime after getting a great deal on 10 tons of Value Plus Vanilla Cavendish." I'll have the pipes by summer's end and have located one of those dandy metal carts:).

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Beyond that just a few trash bags to keep everything dry and matches, you'll need matches. :rofl:

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
The guy with one Grabow and a can of Captain Black does have a secret. He has an asbestos tongue, steel-sleeved nostrils, and two wooden eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.