PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
Hello all.

This is just to inform potential buyers as he (sootbuster1) does have some nice looking pipes.

I was reading a description on one of his listings and it says something along the line of "an alcohol cleaning is recommended in addition to the soap cleaning that I have given it" and also says something about how he re-stained it.

I asked hiim about his process and he responded that he scrubs his pipes aggressively with Dawn dish soap. After the cleaning he stains them with Minwax.

I know that there will be some who thinks this practice is perfectly fine, but I absolutely do not want those toxins or flavors in my mouth/throat/lungs and thought that you all should know.

brudnod

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Although I don't prefer the seller to do much to the pipe when perusing eBay, just to be clear, there are pipes that I clean with dishwashing soap and a potato scrub brush. Those are the pipes with the most grunge on the OUTSIDE. Never use this on the inside. I use Minwax for bringing the color back then carnauba wax treat x2 or x3. This constitutes a small minority of estate pipes. And I don't have to do this with pipes from some of our "favorite" sellers; just have to photoshop out the defects that were photoshopped in the seller's photos...

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I have informed the seller that this is a somewhat unsavory method and he thanked me for the help and is going to change his practices. To clarify, I'm not trying to demonize the seller, just inform.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
The Punky Brewster approach...
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/pipe-smoking-with-punky-brewster

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
After the Dawn treatment, plenty of hot water should remove any residue from the detergent. I've used it on the outside, but hot water only on the inside. (often after an alcohol cleaning). Dry chamber with paper towel, pipe cleaners through stem until dry.
His method is not preferred, but not poisonous in any event.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Washing isn't the issue. It's the use of furniture type stains that would concern me. The usual method for staining pipes is to use leather dyes with an alcohol base or stains specifically formulated for use on pipes. Other types can pose health risks.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Everclear is my preferred solution for cleaning the inside of my pipes. I have used 100 proof vodka which also works nicely. Dawn dish soap is not something I would ever consider using.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
While Minwax is a brand of furniture stains a finishes, they also sell beeswax to use as a finish. Perhaps a question to the seller might clarify what he's using.

Status
Not open for further replies.