Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Well I am glad that we can't be accused of having over-moderated forums here. Bob and I can't take too much credit for that since we have been busy as heck lately and haven't had time to read everything here.
That is actually great news. I couldn't be more pleased with how active the forums have become.
Obviously, sinistertopiary and phil were not seeing eye to eye on some things in the Historic Quotes thread.
That's life, especially in a online community that is growing and becoming large.
Lively debate is encouraged.
However, this does pose a danger of over-enthusiasm or emotions running high for one's point of view.
Everyone's contribution is greatly appreciated here, including sinistertopiary and phil. I would be personally disappointed if either of you guys left. However, I am not afraid to "push the button" on anyone, especially if it has to take my time away from doing more important things than being a baby sitter.
That is not a threat or directed specifically at either one of you or anyone else.
We can disagree as long as we keep the forums civil. In the one year this site has been going, I have only deleted 3 posts that were spammy commerical posts, and have not moderated anything else.
It would be great if we can keep it that way.
Carry on.

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I just got caught up on the disagreement that happened in Historic Quotes thread. I am not saying that anyone is/was right or wrong.
Disagreements are going to happen, that is a part of life. They happen with the best of friends and family members. It is how we conduct ourselves during a disagreement that counts.
Just remember how to act during a disagreement. I know that things can get heated at times and that tempers can flare, but when that happens walk away from the keyboard and calm down a bit. Let's all disagree with respect and be civil to each other. That includes Private Messages as well.
Sometimes a lot is lost on the written word that normally is picked up in person and it can create a misunderstanding.
Like Kevin said, we do not over moderate our boards and we let everyone speak their mind and voice their opinions. Almost every other pipe forum does not allow political discussions and/or quite a few other things to be discussed.
We are not like that here. We try to treat everyone like adults, but we expect everyone to act like adults as well and treat everyone with dignity and respect. I'm not saying that anyone has or hasn't acted appropriately, I'm just telling everyone what we expect.
I know that our forum is a little different than other forums by letting people talk about anything and everything that they want to and not just about pipes and tobacco, but that is what conversing in real life is. That is why we allow it here. Friends and acquaintances talk about more than just one or two subjects. We try to encourage a community of acquaintances and friends here at PipesMagazine.com.

jonesing

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 11, 2010
I think you are both a couple of idiots! (we need some smileys up in here. Just pretend there's a LOL smiley)
Actually, I agree completely with both of you.
I'm a noob here but a forum veteran. Joined and then left plenty over the years.
The historic quote disagreement wasn't a problem. I enjoyed it actually. But pretty soon someone comes along that doesn't get it and thinks this is a place for flame wars and the whole neighborhood goes to hell.
I've seen it happen.
Passions run high at times, especially in things that stray into the area of politics or religion.
As to politics, I can usually see both sides in a political discussion because I don't just hate one government, one party, or one politicians. I hate them all!
Anyway...by any definition this is an extremely welcoming, courteous forum which will undoubtedly flourish.
And if you don't agree with me you're obviously IGNORANT! (insert smiley here).
RJ

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
All well said and agreed to.
However, even though some of the discussions have some political aspects to them, I am reluctant to have too much political discussion here unless it has to do directly with tobacco legislation.
On my bought-out deceased cigar site of old, we made a forum for politics and I stayed out of it and just let it be a free for all slug fest.
I am not interested in that here. If that is something anyone is looking for, you are free to find it elsewhere.
Aside from that, I totally agree with Bob saying;
I know that our forum is a little different than other forums by letting people talk about anything and everything that they want to and not just about pipes and tobacco, but that is what conversing in real life is. That is why we allow it here. Friends and acquaintances talk about more than just one or two subjects. We try to encourage a community of acquaintances and friends here at PipesMagazine.com.
Just a forewarning that this will not be a forum for lots of general political discussion.

dillydallydan

Lurker
Feb 26, 2010
I agree with all of you. I come here for fun and information. If I wanted to have an argument I'd talk to my wife.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Lemme get this straight. So it's OK once again to pick on a certain churchwarden cob smoker who wears an eyepatch prophylacticly?
doh! ≈(_8^(|)

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
I knew there was a reason I avoided that thread. Politics and religion...

brazz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 16, 2009
I would just like to say that I enjoy both Phil and Sinisters' posts and they definetly keep me coming back to check out the site.I guess what I'm saying is that I hope you guys don't post less or let this get in the way, of this enjoyable site.

Thats my 2 cents.

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Brazz, I agree with you as well. The veterans to the site are the reason I stick around, even though I post less frequently than I'd like because of this damn job thingy. The threads on this site are great because as Bob said, "Friends and acquaintances talk about more than just one or two subjects." Some topics I avoid, some I just have to dive into but I look forward to reading all of them.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
I also agree. I like the diversity of this site and always look forward to hearing others opinions. I don't think we should let others thoughts or views effect the continuity of what we post. With that said I also agree that politics for the most part should be avoided. I find myself wording things differently to avoid any political comments in my post, after all this is a pipe site right? I hope this incident doesn't change anyones view of the site or the way they post, happy smoking everyone. I look forward to reading EVERYONE'S posts.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
For 15 years I was a salesman at my fathers company. He said the best way to lose a sell, was to talk about religion, politics, or football.

dunendain

Jul 22, 2009
I wish LA had a freaking team, so I could yell.

I'll just say MAN-U!!

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Thanks Brazz et al.
And thanks to Kevin & Bob for their reminder to "treat everyone with dignity and respect," which is damn good advice in general.
(And jonesing, I completely agree with your sentiment about politics.)
Basically, whatever helps makes this as welcoming a home to as diverse a public as possible is a good thing (in my opinion). We are all brothers (and sisters) of the briar, which is why we’re here and why I appreciate it so much.
I appreciate that politics, religion (and football) are touchy subjects. I honestly think — no, I know — it's possible to discuss such matters calmly using the socratic method or some other discursive practice, and I'm always thrilled when that's possible. However, as jonesing has experienced elsewhere, such civilized discourse is more the exception than the rule.
Thus it would be unfortunate to automatically interdict topics for discussion amongst civil, reasonable people. However, as soon as a discussion devolves to the point where someone no longer feels welcome here, then it’s time for that discussion to end (again, in my opinion).
After all, it’s not everyone who can calmly discuss things like American exceptionalism, pederasty, the JFK assassination, how many angels dance on a pin, Deleuzian metaphysics, second-hand smoke, German vs Italian opera, or why the NY Yankees suck so much. It’s difficult to dispassionately discuss the things one is passionate about, but these can be the most rewarding and stimulating discussions of all. It would be nice if such a space could exist here — it would nicely fit the image of the pipe smoker as a contemplative soul.
And if such a space can’t exist, well that’s ok too, since this is a site about the pleasures of tobacco and pipes first and foremost.
I just know that for now I’m happy here, as I hope everyone else is too. I hope everyone’s engagement here will be an easy and lasting one. And should it come to an end for some reason, I hope the parting will be amicable.
And now I’ll light my next bowl in thanks to this wonderful community, and to Kevin, Bob & Mick for creating such a welcoming space to bring us all together.
“May you work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, dance like no-one is watching, screw like it's being filmed, and drink like a true Irishman”

Status
Not open for further replies.