PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Yesterday I was at my B+M and was hankering for something new. I'm looking over the tins and I spy in back a tin of McClelland Top Hat and decide to give it a try. Virginias and Perique..... how could I go wrong? On opening the tin was full of what I could only describe as a course cut ribbon, broad and thin, and ranging from a jet black to golden tan.

C6978726-1C96-4550-BF78-946F86A04584_zps2gvxdhoy.jpg

My first suprise was the lack of almost overpowering ketchup smell that most McClelland Virginia blend have, it was there but much softer then I'm used to. It was almost the perfect moisture level so I loaded up a bowl in my old Charatan Billiard and fired it up.

That familiar rush of pepper and grass hits me and a smoke so think you could chew it. Now Steve Stein, the creator of this blend, says "Its wonderful after meals and as an evening aperitif for the seasoned Virginia-Perique pipe smoker. A complex, bold blend for the sophisticated palate" and I'm not sure of all that but I can say this. After the first few puffs I was hungry...... mouth watering, tummy growling hungry.... The pepper smell and the creamy thickness of the smoke just trigger my appetite instantly. I'm a big fan of Beacon Extra, and of Perique blend in general but I have to say that the two bowls I had yesterday were among the best Perique smokes I've had yet. I will definitely be adding a few tins of this to my next order.

Status
Not open for further replies.