PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
Just some random thoughts....I'm enjoying English blends, Squadron Leader and Countryside from Boswells. I tend to get stuck in ruts be it tobacco,literature, bourbon or single malt Irish whiskeys.

But by following the post on this forum I've begun to branch out. And that's what fascinates me about pipe smoking, one never stops learning.

I spent the evening on the patio enjoying a bowl of Squadron Leader with a gin & tonic while reading a "winters Tale" by Mark Helprin tonight. Its a beautiful summers eve here in central PA.

carlomarx

Can't Leave
Oct 29, 2011
State College,PA
The Diner is still in buisness,and it still gets an interesting crowd abiout 2:30 am! Most of us old townies stay out of downtown except for Christmas, spring break, arts festival and summer!

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Name a few, I cant seems to get away from Boswell blends
Peterson Old Dublin

Sam Gawith Squadron Leader and Balkan Flake

Hearth and Home Larry's Blend

MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian
There's just a few. :puffy:

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Name a few, I cant seems to get away from Boswell blends
From what I have smoked I recommend
Balkan Sasieni

SG Balkan Flake and Squadron Leader ( +1 Jud :mrgreen: )

McClelland Frog Morton Series ( I like them all except On the Bayou, something about Englishes with Perique that doesn't sit well with me )
on the less expensive side
Sutliff Blend No 5

Suttliff Westminster

PS English Luxury

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
There are hundreds of English (latakia-based) blends to choose from, a great many of them quite good. Since you like Countryside, I would also recommend Northwoods from Boswell (I enjoy both of these tremendously). Probably the most famous blender of this type of mixture is GL Pease, and you would be hard pressed to go wrong with his products. I would highly recommend Chelsea Morning, Maltese Falcon, and Westminster. Westminster, in fact, is considered by many smokers to be the absolute best English on the market today (I prefer the other two I mentioned as well as Odyssey, but opinions naturally differ and I think Westminster is superb). Many smokers also swear by Dunhill's mixtures, and McClelland has a number of latakia blends that are superb for those just starting to enjoy latakia. The Frog Morton series is very good for this, as is Three Oaks Syrian, Legends, Wilderness, Old Dog and Celebrated Sovereign.

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
I just smoked some Hearth & Home Ambassador's Blend. I haven't tried many English blends yet, but I'm definitely buying more H&H Ambassador's Blend when I run out.

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
I too prefer English blends and VaPers.

There are a ton out there to choose from which can be a bit overwhelming but quite fun.

The H&H Ambassadors Blend is something I just tried a couple weeks ago and it is great tobacco and a nice price to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.