PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Hey folks, new piper here. Been lurking for a while since I don't have much to contribute yet, but I want to say "thanks!" to all of you for the insight, knowledge and TAD/PAD enabling you've given me.
Anyhoo, got my first TAD order from PC the other day - how'd I do?
weeds-600x450.jpg

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
A nice mix of tobacco there and some really high quality blends. Enjoy and welcome to the forum!

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I haven't personally had any of the tobaccos you've purchased, but I've heard splendid things about most. I really enjoy the Drew Estate tin art. I think it's the first time I've seen it. I may just have to buy some myself.

smeigs

Lifer
Jun 26, 2012
well done! Looks like a great selection.. Let us know your favorite and your not so favorite.. I am always curious

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've had the Plumcake, Escudo and Grousemoor. Escudo is the item I have stocked the most right now with 15 tins, I have to be in the right mood for it but it is a wonderfully complex and spicy blend that is just fantastic. I'm not a big latakia lover just yet, so Plumcake is really nice for me as it is a "light" English. Smooth smoke, very creamy and with the hint of rum suggested by the navy blend. Grousemoor is definitely different. Most will say its a love it or hate it kind of blend. The charring light and true light were nice, however it just didn't do much for me after a few minutes.

timely

Jan 23, 2012
Nice selection of tobacco you bought.

Welcome to the forum.

hodirty

Lifer
Jan 10, 2013
Looks like a fine selection. I have had Plumcake, and keep it on hand. Let us know about that Drew Estate Tobacco for sure. I would suggest buying some bulk tobacco for cellaring in the future. It helps build up tobacco and doesn't break the bank. And you can reseal a masom jar, unlike a tin. Congrats and enjoy!

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
Thanks guys. I actually have 8 small mason jars full (3 Tinder Box aros, Uni Flake, Wessex Gold VA, McC Dark Star & Boston 1776 and Irish Oak) that I'm smoking up; the new tins will sit until there's room for them.
I'm looking forward to the DE weeds - only reason I got them was P&C had them on 3-for-2 and the B&M proprietor I use (who prefers English blends) thinks highly of them.
Not really sure about the Plumcake. I didn't realize until I read the tin that it was a Latakia blend. Had I known, I would've gotten something else since Latakia just sounds unappetizing to me ("Oooooo, did he really just say that on a pipe forum?"). I guess I'll find out though - maybe it'll be my thing. :)

aquilas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2013
I really enjoyed the DE 7th Ave Blonde. I went to a DE event last week at my local b&m and the rep I spoke to said the 7th Ave Blonde had an awesome cupcake-like room note. Had my first bowl of it a few days ago and he wasn't lying!

Jan 8, 2013
You never know until you try it Grouchy ;) Personally, I really like latakia. Nice TAD haul you got there. I've not tried any of those, but the majority of them have been on my list.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Nice haul! I've had both the Plumcake and Dark Twist, the DT being my favorite of the two. I've also had Grousemoor, which was not my cup o' tea! I've never tried any of the Drew Estate blends or the Escudo, but they generally get high marks around here. All in all, I'd say you got a pretty good mix of blends, hope you enjoy!

grouchydog

Can't Leave
Oct 16, 2013
I'm early in the process of finding what I like and don't like, so I'm really all that worried about bulk just yet. I also don't get very much smoking time, so what I have now is actually a pretty fair supply. Not that I won't keep hoarding....... :)

davidintexas

Jun 4, 2013
Hey grouchydog. Like you I haven't settled in on exactly what I do and don't like yet, and have only been smoking for the last six months. That looks like a fine TAD you got there. I have been wanting to order some Dark Twist and Plumcake myself but there have been some other things that were higher up on the list. I do have some Escudo but have not opened it yet. Let us know what you think

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I'm always on the lookout for blends that are described as "light latakia." Plumcake just made my long P&C list.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm always on the lookout for blends that are described as "light latakia." Plumcake just made my long P&C list.
Plumcake is actually MacB's second lightest lat blend. All of theirs are also Syrian latakia.
From lowest to highest amount of lat:
Latakia Blend - This is very light. Think Walnut, only better quality tobacco.

Plumcake

The Solent Mixture

HH Vintage Syrian

evo03

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2013
To me Plumcake is pretty unique. Even if you don't like English/Latakia blends, you may like Plumcake.

Status
Not open for further replies.