A Newbie Reviews: Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader

(7 posts)
  • Started 2 years ago by hmhaines
  • Latest reply from deathmetal
  1. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Considering I didn't know if Balkans/Lataki blends were my thing, I bought a fair number of the things to try. Fortunately, I quite like them and this is my favorite yet.

Squadron Leader goes light on the Latakia, much heavier on the Virgina. I'm getting a mild smoke in the mouth, a tiny bit of bite that is likely from puffing too hard. Snork is leathery, a little spicy, and generally nice. Some hay floating around with the floral flavor of the Latakia, which is a nice backup player in the blend. It pulls forward toward the middle of the bowl, but is still not terribly strong. Love this blend, a wonderful smoke.

"Following the path of least resistance is what makes the river crooked."
    U. Utah Phillips
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. dottiewarden

dottiewarden

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sounds like one I would like. My current favorite English is London Mixture and one of the things I like most about it is that the Lat is used as a spice rather than the dominant flavor. Thanks for reminding me to get this "best seller" back up on the "must try" list.

Dot
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Definitely get some. Perhaps a More refined palate will find more or less to desire, but it is worth a try either way!

Posted 2 years ago #
  4. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Excellent take on SL. I really like the spice of the orientals. Its well represented both in bulk and tin in my cellar.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  5. hmhaines

hmhaines

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I definitely prefer Perique right now, but I have greatly enjoyed the oriental thus far. I wish SL came in bulk!

Posted 2 years ago #
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

shutterbugg

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My current favorite English is London Mixture and one of the things I like most about it is that the Lat is used as a spice rather than the dominant flavor.

Try a tin of Dunhill's The Aperitif, I think you'll like it even better than London Mixture. I was a My Mixture 965 fan, which is a "Scottish blend" and brown uncased cavendish, more oriental and less Lakakia than London. From there I tried Aperitif, which is quite similar but with less Latakia, and the overall result is a smoother blend. I thought it would underwhelm me, but to my surprise I like it better than MM965. You can still taste and smell the Latakia but it's more of a team-player than either a spice or a dominant.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Squadron Leader goes light on the Latakia, much heavier on the Virgina.

This is a smart mixture. Virginia is an eternal taste; Latakia a too-strong taste that overwhelms itself. They refined the English to the point where it is pleasant. Compare to: Presbyterian, Early Morning Pipe.

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   donjgiles, npod, winton, michiganlover, folanator, paulfg