A Newbie Reviews: Moonique (Homemade Aro)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Started with three-year-aged C&D Perique. (Got in trade.)

Added a very generous amount of 11 Wells' "Minnesota 13" Moonshine. Has a nice, strong, figgy flavor.

Allowed to dry for several hours.
Now it is sitting on my tobacco mat, smelling of figs and chocolate. Wonderfully excited! Practically drooling here. But alas, I must wait. Still a little sticky and I don't want a wet smoke.
Finally! About 45 in the air, I think it is dry enough. Packing into a polished MM Cob.
Flavor is surprisingly mild at start, must be the age on the Perique. The classic Perique spice is going strong, though. Was hoping for a blast of fig, but can't find it anywhere. Some flavor builds, by mid-bowl I am getting a shred of fig and chocolate if I really dig for it. Did my grand addition of moonshine dull things?
As I reach the end of the bowl I come to two conclusions:
I need to dry the tobacco a little more.
There's a reason we buy pre-made blends.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
There's a reason we buy pre-made blends.
:rofl:
I can't tell you how many times I have said the same damn thing. One day, you will come up with the perfect home brew blend. Great flavor, burn, balance... only to find out you lost your notes, lol.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I admire the courage of trying and persisting to do home blends. It will eventually and definitely some day pay off! don't lose your notes.
On another topic. I wouldn't call this a "newbie review". Being able to discern and identify the different elements you mention aren't part of a "newbie" skill set.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
We've known each other for a long time. Since obviously nobody else is gonna intervene, I feel I must. You're "Newb" reviews are brilliant, but you have a smoking problem!! You're too prolific and you're making the rest of us look like the lazy slobs that we are. Slow the F down!!!

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
We've known each other for a long time. Since obviously nobody else is gonna intervene, I feel I must. You're "Newb" reviews are brilliant, but you have a smoking problem!! You're too prolific and you're making the rest of us look like the lazy slobs that we are. Slow the F down!!!
+1000
:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.