PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
Since you're all more experienced smokers than I, and you aren't likely to be interested in excessive musings from a youngun, I decided to post these two little "reviews" together.
I'd been warned off of smoking straight Perique numerous times, but I wasn't listening. Perique is the reason I wanted to smoke a pipe! The rarity of the tobacco was enough to ignite my inner obsessive, while the term "pepper bomb" stoked the flames. In my kitchen there are two ingredients which, if called for at all, can't seem to be over used. Vanilla is one, pepper is the other. I have at least a pound of peppercorns in my cabinet, spread across a small number of pepper varieties. What I mean to say is: I love pepper.
So, I bought an ounce of C&D Perique. It came slighly too wet, so I allowed it to dry on my little leather mat for several minutes, all the while imagining the delightful flavor of Indian Telicherry. Once loaded in the pipe, I take a puff and feel a remarkable rush of spice fly into my mouth. This, this is bliss. Straight Perique is a beautiful tobacco with a few layers of flavor that I'm still too undeveloped to explain. The strength wasn't as great as expected, though I have since ordered the Golden Triangle sampler and hope to find even more flavor in the tin of pure, unadulterated St. James.
Now, for the Latakia. I bought the Gawith Hoggarth & Co. blending Latakia out of a sense of duty; I'm trying all of the standard blending tobaccos in order to better understand blend descriptions online, as well as to better appreciate the blends that I smoke. Having read that straight Latakia turned people off of Latakia blends for a while, I was wary. Still, I loaded a fresh cob with the tobacco, rater enjoying the so-called "tin note". It lit easily and smoked well. This tobacci has a floral, soapy flavor that is also vaguely reminiscent of some sort of plastic. As is often the case with unpleasant tobacco descriptives, all of this is actually good. I quite enjoyed the Latakia, though we'll have to wait and see whether I continue to smoke it solo or use it for my own blends.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Smoking the components for blending is a great way to further ones understanding and appreciation of the blends we all enjoy. I'm not doing it, but I appreciate your educational methods ;)

snowyowl

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2015
I would imagine straight latakia would fry my tastebuds.
Quite the opposite. I find straight-up Latakia to be smokey and soothing.
While I prefer Lat-forward blends, I have smoked 20-year old Syrian (from David P. Ehrlich , Boston). And as a preparatory smoke for the best dark-fried stuff... well, "interplanetary" (add, "man" or "dude" to that, depending on your generation).
I imprinted on piping some Balkan Sobranie, by a campfire, miles and days from the nearest paved road. Start there.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I quite like reading newer smoker's experiences with straight perique - it's been on my list to give this a shot for a while now. I truly love perique blends, especially C&D's Bayou Morning. You've inspired me to grab some perique and give this a shot when funds permit again. Thanks for posting!

jabo

Can't Leave
Jan 26, 2016
As Nate stated, a great approach to recognizing the true tastes of all blend components. Have done it myself and have been amazed at how I recognized the tastes described in reviews. Although I'm still at a loss on the raisin ,plum and fig smells . As far as I'm concerned, these things don't have any distinguishing smells. Maybe I should go to a factory processing these and smell the aroma of tons and I'd get it !

Status
Not open for further replies.