PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
After trying my first few tobaccos, I was worried that pipe smoke was going to be too mild and light. So I got myself a handful of the strong tobaccos I could find.
Brown Bogie had already been on my radar, and I was excited to get some rope tobac.
Plain, strong, and satisfying. Very reminiscent of certain cigars. I get a bit of the "meaty" umami flavor, just basic savoriness. It shows up in the Snork too. There's a nice bit of spice that you're going to feel at the back of your mouth/front of your throat, but I don't get that much in my nose. Little to no bite. There is a ghost-like floral note, but I am quite sure that I've never had a Latakia in this cob. Unless I'm wrong, perhaps that is coming from the Indian leaves in the twist.
This is Timberbeast tobacco, Lumberjack baccy. A good, reliable smoke. Possibly not for the faint of heart, but something cigar folk might enjoy. I know I do!

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
That floral note is probably the lakeland flavor, Does it kinda remind you of a perfume?

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Not sure. I'll have to try a blend with a stronger Lakeland essence to know.
The Lakeland is a topping/casing/flavoring, right? This isn't supposed to have any of that.

ltstone

Dec 30, 2015
I think the lakeland flavor just comes from the tobacco being processed in the same facility, like a ghost effect. Lakeland is a topping like a sweet aftershave, some liken it to urinal cakes :)

kanse

Jul 9, 2016
Coniston cut plug or dark flake scented for pure lakeland 'joy'

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I just got some of this in bulk too, no lakeland flavor to be found, I think it's probably the outer wrapper, it's like Montecristo cuban cigars have a floral note too, I would say it's a natural tobacco thing. It's quickly becoming one of my go to bed time smokes, it gives me the hiccups though. I really want to get a 500 gram box of it, so I have enough that I can chew it also.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"I really want to get a 500 gram box of it, so I have enough that I can chew it also."
I have never had the desire to chew tobacco, the very thought makes me wretch.
I rather liken it to putting a load of moist lawn clippings in my mouth albeit tobacco flavoured lawn clippings :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Yeah me and my friends used to dip Copenhagen in high school, and if we got red man that was a real treat, the brown bogie has that familiar taste I like of Copenhagen, you have to cut off a plug of it, about 5 grams, my first time chewing bogie I used a coin which wasn't good

beastinview

Jan 5, 2016
Happy Brown Bogie is one of my all-time favorites. Technically, my favorite of all time is the same twist, but the rum-flavored version from Gawith and Hoggarth. That said, their flavorings are so subtle that the Bogie and Rum Twist aren't all that different.
I'm actually a bit surprised you didn't like Billy Budd considering you liked this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.