PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hmhaines

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 5, 2016
CT
A delightful Oriental with a simple, clean flavor.
Somewhat soapy, extremely floral. Don't like Latakia? Stay away!
As the bowl progresses, I start to taste a bit of leather. Is there Virginia in here? SP says yes.
Slightly sweeter than straight Latakia, and a little more mild. Not terribly noticeable differences if you don't smoke them side by side.
Worth a smoke if you like Latakia!

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Star is the second English blend I've tried, and I'm loving it! The smoky, musty flavors and aroma prove exceptionally evocative, and strike me as the quintessential "professor" or "grandfather" tobacco profile. You're succinct, impressionistic review captures the major points well.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
A stout English blend. I find Star of the East Flake (a broken flake) more flavorful. I wish that it was in bulk, though 8 oz tins are available.

When you have an opportunity, try C&D Pirate Kake, & Dan Old Ironsides.

sthbkr77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 17, 2015
MD
I found it a bit rough around the edges when fresh. Not a bad blend but I'd like to try some with some age on it to see how it mellows out. Old Ironsides is a great flake if you like the fuller Lat blends as Cossackjack mentioned.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
Somewhat soapy, extremely floral.
Soapy? Floral? I smoke this stuff and have not tasted soap. And if you think Star is floral, wait to you try some Lakeland blends.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I must agree that I have not picked up any floral or soapy notes from SOTE. 'Course, my taster may be out of whack.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
If not floral, what would you consider that flavor? If there's a better term I want to use it! Don't like the idea of confusing people with an off review.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think Macaroon hit it with "incense-like", which I usually associate with certain Orientals. Everyone does seem to taste things a bit differently, though.

hmhaines

Sep 5, 2016
CT
Incense is a bit of a broad term, but I guess floral and soapy are too! I'll work that into my not-so-broad rotation of tobacco words. Thanks for the suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.