A New Year - Time For Reflection

(24 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by brightleaf
  • Latest reply from brian64
  1. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The New Year is a time that commonly causes us to reflect on our past and think about how we are going to proceed in the future. Many members on this forum have lived long lives and have seen many changes in our society. What advice do you have for our younger members that you think would help them as they ponder their future?

My advice would be to to figure out what makes you happy and what you believe is worth living/dying for. While these things may not be easy to do, the earlier you get this figured out the easier it will be to start on the path you want to walk. I have known too many people that get tied down with a life they regret and feel trapped by. Another point to keep in mind is that there are many ideas that can draw you in that are not what they at first seemed to be. It is good to remember that we can all be duped, understanding that it is always possible to make a change in our lives is important. You may think that money is the only thing worth pursuing, while it does make living easier, it doesn't lead to true happiness.

POSSIBLY, contentment is not only the chief element of life, but also one of the very foundations of society. If this be so, then as Tobacco is the enemy of malice, friend of virtue, and a direct cause for content, its use should be encouraged. -J.W. Cundall 1901
    Posted 1 year ago #
  2. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Stay flexible. Avoid getting caught up in "stuff". Don't lose your sense of humor. And above all else, never walk under an open window without an open umbrella.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 1 year ago #
  3. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

The Grim Reaper always wears a smile. So smile, life's hard and you'll never make it out alive.

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 1 year ago #
  4. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Question everything...especially "official narratives" (past and present).

If you look beneath the surface of things, you'll often find that what is generally accepted as established fact rests on little and/or unconvincing substantiation.

“Bipartisan usually means some larger-than-usual deception is being carried out.” – George Carlin
    Posted 1 year ago #
  5. farlo

farlo

Login to Send PM

My advice buy a Harley, party hard, have a shot of whiskey every day, get married, have kids, have grandkids, and read the Bible, ps. And keep on smoking, and put these in the order of your liking

Posted 1 year ago #
  6. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And above all else, never walk under an open window without an open umbrella.
    LOL
    Advice from the distant past. I've never personally seen anyone emptying their bedpan out the window.
    It is true that if someone is holding onto their shit, they are usually more than happy to throw it around. An umbrella is good advice for walking in this world.

Posted 1 year ago #
  7. davet

davet

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Have a plan and don't look back in regret. Try to live life without the "if onlys."

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We are all turds floating down the toilet expressway of life waiting to be flushed again and again.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I hate those type of turds!

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Advice from the distant past.

There's a lot of that around here.

There are actually a number of things I think were better in the distant past, but the lack of indoor plumbing is not one of them. I feel fortunate to have missed that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. farlo

farlo

Login to Send PM

My advice if you're having trouble with turds call a plumber

Posted 1 year ago #
  13. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

All of this turding about reminds me of a one of one of my ex boss's favorite sayings,

"Life is like a sewer.
    You get out what you put in."

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. olkofri

Olkofri

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Puff more!

Heh, guess the only new year resolution I make is to make no resolutions.

Well, maybe I should have as a resolution to go 6 months without ale... so, I'll have a pint every other day.

Not the sweet, new grass with flowers is this harvesting of mine;
    Not the upland clover bloom...
    Posted 1 year ago #
  15. brightleaf

brightleaf

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sticks pitchfork into pile of manure and tries turn this thread around.
    May more oxygenated thoughts be spread around to fertilize the young sprouts of tomorrow.

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

We've just gotten to the age where fanciful notions turn into harsh reality. Don't plan too far ahead, enjoy the moment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  17. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

We've just gotten to the age where fanciful notions turn into harsh reality. Don't plan too far ahead, enjoy the moment.

Dude...excellent comment dude...pretty much says it all.

I was going to elaborate a bit, but I think I’ll refrain from doing so...it wouldn’t accomplish anything.

Posted 1 year ago #
  18. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

What type of turds do you hate warren?

Posted 1 year ago #
  19. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hmm a lot of advice in here, just have to sift through the other stuff

farlo you're new here, but I like your style. I'm going to switch out whiskey for scotch and a Harley for vinyl records.

Posted 1 year ago #
  20. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This was definitely a hard year for me, quite frankly I am looking at 2018 with a great deal of hope for a more stable emotional state of being. I have vowed to live life a tad more slowly this year, stopping along the way to enjoy the smell of the flowers ... or crap, depending on what hand I am dealt this turn around And enjoy pipe more, for sure enjoy pipe more !!!

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  21. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My homely advice would be: Do good, and absolutely do something. Take the best job you can get, but keep reconsidering and looking. Do vote and do write your representatives, and don't make excuses about not doing that, pretending to be above it all. Don't just reinforce your own ideas; argue with yourself. You're real smart, but you're not all that smart, or if you are, do something astonishing and wonderful for all the world to see. When everything looks awful, help someone else. Take care of a family member or neighbor. The world looks less awful when you are making it less awful in specific ways, with specific work and some generosity. Address your own pain, physical and psychological. See what's funny. Have some fun. Those last two are good ways to start. Now I should take all my own advice.

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. tbradsim1

tbradsim1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Grandfather gave me good advice, his saying stuck with me all my life with the reality of living in the real world. His words in French, YOU CAN MAKE ME EAT SHIT, JUST DONT TELL ME ITS BUTTER..

The Old Cajun
    Posted 1 year ago #
  23. indianafrank

indianafrank

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm late to this thread also. But I'd like to pontificate my 2 cents.

I will eat more prunes.

Drink more Geritol.

I will no longer hold in my gas in checkout lines.

I will no longer disrespect my wife's needs by leaving the toilet seat up.

I will stop asking waitresses, waiters, and cashiers at checkouts, if they accept cash.

And I will tolerate the intolerable.

And as always. I will continue to cherish my friends, my family, my business partners, my customers, and my God, who has given me all that I could ever wish for.

I don't know where I'm going...but sooner or later I'll get there.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  24. brian64

brian64

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I will no longer hold in my gas in checkout lines.

I'm really looking forward to your stories in 2018 Frank!

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ebnash, tbradsim1, oldgeezersmoker, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy