PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Friday morning Herself stepped into my man cave and handed me an printout. It was an order form from Smokingpipes.com for a rustic Peterson Darwin. To say I was suprised is an understatement!

I had been told this was a large pipe but wasn't prepared for what arrived this afternoon. I can understand why Peterson ran out of suitable briar for their Deluxe pipes. This thing is 6 1/16" long by 2" high and 2" wide at it's widest. The tobacco chamber is 7/8" by 1 3/4" deep. The tobacco chamber is pre-carboned and there is bare wood in the mortice so I don't have to worry about dip staining. For such a large piece of briar, the pipe is relativly light at 2.6 oz. Unless you have a set of bulldog jaws, this pipe isn't a clencher because of the bend. As you can see in the photo, the pipe has a fishtail bit and the bit is funneled in for a full inch. The pipe is what I would call a semi system. It has a very shallow well and has the stem extension ala the System Standard although the extension doesn't go past the smoke channel.

Smokingpipes included a tin of Irish Whiskey and a sample pack of the new Mac Baren's 7 Seas Regular.
Here she is.

DSC_0267.jpg

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I am so impressed, Chuck....with both the pipe and your wife....you are one lucky sonofagun!

bowhatchie

Sep 27, 2010
Wonderful wife... wonderful pipe... makes for a wonderful life!

nicely done Chuck!

chuckw

Oct 7, 2009
Thank you gentlemen. After almost 54 years, I believe I'll keep her. Besides, I'd hate to have to break in a new one or have a new one try to break me in.

seakayak

Sep 21, 2010
I'm about to celebrate my 40th anniversary with a woman I have loved deeply since adolescence but who will never appreciate (much less support) my love of pipes. You have a keeper there, Sir. Treat her well.

Status
Not open for further replies.