PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I've been smoking a lot of OGS recently and as my tobacco palate develops I've begun to pick up on a subtle citrus flavor that is much less pronounced (to me) than that of the tin note but is there nonetheless.
As it's a sunny 80 degree day in central Ohio I wanted something cool to drink as I smoked out on the patio. I gave a nice glass of orange juice on ice a try with OGS and I must say, I've found a new favorite pairing. Normally I'd say that orange juice would not go well with most tobaccos but it pairs nicely with the citrus in OGS.
I just wanted to share after one of the most pleasurable smokes of my brief career :puffy:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think you'll find that the citrus you taste is a signature flavor in most Virginias, with the possible exception of red Virginia. Even then, stoving can bring out their citrus notes too. Often, the citrus flavors of racy, sharp Virginias (often described as grassy) are somewhat more obscure, and require greater focus to detect.
If you are really getting into that taste, go for the straight Virginia flakes (with or without Perique). Aging tends to soften the zest and deepen the caramel-like sweetness, so smoke 'em young while they're still exuberant! :puffy:

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
Thanks for the tips! I've been smoking Dunhill Flake in rotation with the OGS and I really enjoy both. I think I've found a home among Virginias. I'm definitely adding more to my next order.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I like OGS too but I like Erinmore also. Give that one a try if you haven't already.
I'm north of you about 50 miles up in Crawford County. It is a beauty of a day.

Jul 12, 2011
Really enjoy OGS, and as MC states you really need

a good solid week of smoking Vs to have system adjust

and really get the most out of them...so no mixing heavy

Lats in between smoking the Vs (too late, intend to do

that all the time because I like both... But I have tried MC's

advice and they hi the nail on the head because it really

does make a difference...don't take it from your friendly

neighborhood SmokinDragon...try it out for yourself and

see :)

Status
Not open for further replies.