PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
Wow! 1000 pounds of tobacco. 250 pounds of Davidoff Medallion Flake stored in one container! 125 pounds of Samuel Gawaith and 125 pounds of Esoterica Dorchester stored each in one container. He must store them in 50 gallon oil barrels.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Why? Just doing some fast math, at 3 grams per bowl and 3 bowls a day that stash will last around 140 years. So, what's the point? I hope he's around long enough to exhaust his supply but time is against him.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm not finished adding it all up, yet.
090606_tobacco_warehouse.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
This reminds me of one of those mathematical story problems: BobR has 998 pounds and 1.2 ounces of tobacco. At 16 ounces per pound that equals 15,969.2 ounces of tobacco. At an average price of (let's say for the sake of this "problem") $2.50 per ounce his substantial stash has a value of $39,923.00! I wonder if it is covered under his fire-insurance policy?

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
I think at some point it's an investment/hedge against rising taxes and companies discontinuing distribution to the US because of our ever-tightening tobacco regulations. If you can buy a tin for $10 today and sell in 10 years for $30 (not an outlandish possibility) that's a pretty respectable rate of return with very little downside.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
"Anyone who is stocking up on tobacco for the purpose of investment to re-sell later, is a fool."
Come on Sparks, tell us how you really feel about it. It's not a great investment idea, but it's fun. 8)

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
Your right guy, and I retired 2 years ago at 59 (medical) and this is almost too much fun. I seriously need to stop because my cellar will be up to 67 lbs by tomorrow.

I call BS. If someone really was hoarding that much, they wouldn't put it out there for everyone to see. Heck, I don't even have half that much, and I don't care to share my numbers with anyone. It's between me and my pipes. No one else's business. We've already selected a group to hit Peck and Harris's places when the "time comes." Ha ha :puffy: JK

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
anyone who is stocking up on tobacco for the purpose of investment to re-sell later, is a fool.
Care to expound on this argument sparks? Because the aforementioned numbers of 3x increase in value over 10 years seem commonplace. I guess tinned tobacco would be considered a 'collectible', and the collectibles market is always volatile, but it seems like some people make much worse investments. In my mind, the biggest risk with cellaring to re-sell is this: the legality of selling sealed tobacco second hand may not exist forever.

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
In my mind, the biggest risk with cellaring to re-sell is this: the legality of selling sealed tobacco second hand may not exist forever.
I have always considered this the biggest risk. And now that in 25 or 30 states employers can outright fire (and/or not hire) people for tobacco use of any kind, there is a risk that the tobacco market could shrink in the future.
I have a lot of tobacco in the cellar, but it is for my own use. If I die before I smoke it all, I just cannot envision my wife figuring out how to resell my tobacco on eBay, or on a message board. She'll toss it all in the trash.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
Because the aforementioned numbers of 3x increase in value over 10 years seem commonplace.
Commonplace? Really? Seems that very few tins are actually appreciating that much. Look at pipestud's site. Pease tins from 2004 that aren't the discontinued Syrian blends go for maybe $18-20. The C&D and McClelland stuff of that vintage goes for not much more than new, and sometimes less.
It seems like a terrible investment. I see this on sites for guns and guitars and cars, too, where people want to justify their hobby as a legitimate investment, and I just don't see it bearing out except in special cases that are usually unpredictable.

Status
Not open for further replies.