PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
After dinner this evening I reached for some Dunhill Flake and a MM egg and rubbed out a flake and a half. I've been just folding and stuffing but thought I'd try something different and the flake really came apart nicely. I loaded my pipe, scooped up the fine bits for tinder and set to a charring light. Flattened it out and lit her up. I was screwing around with the dogs a bit, moved some stuff around on the porch, put some tools away and sat down on the front porch. Much to my surprise the pipe was still going strong so I took the tamp and tended the fire a bit and sat back to enjoy. I got 2/3 through before my neighbor popped by to say hi and such and it broke the spell I guess but after he left, I tamped and relit one more time and calmly finished it out. It's been a while since I've had anything close to this near perfect experience so I thought I'd share.
Any others been this lucky lately?

neverbend

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2014
Nice!
The way you fill goes a long way to how you smoke. Great feeling when you become one with the pipe.
How's it going at the store?

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
So if you don't mind my asking? What was it that you found perfect? The fact that you really didn't think about smoking the pipe, or that fact you didn't have to relight so often?
I've had occurrences where I smoked a bowl, but I was doing other things, and I wasn't thinking about smoking. Just had the pipe in my mouth, and before I knew it the pipe had gone out, not because it needed lit, but I had reached the bottom of the bowl. Granted, I've only had a few of those experiences, so I attributed it to mostly the packing I did on the bowl, that in tandem with "not smoking", just holding the pipe in my mouth.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You had me at Dunhill Flake in a cob. :D
It seems like when the mind is preoccupied, the pipe smokes itself better than I can

when I'm thinking about it.
Glad you had a great smoke! :puffy:

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Any others been this lucky lately?
That is why I smoke a pipe! :puffpipe: i also rub out my flakes. I feel it helps them burn more evenly, and IMHO brings out a more pronounced flavor. The secret is just super slow smoking. I actually like it when my pipe goes out, because it means I have been sitting in flavor heaven, with slow-burning fragrant wisps of smoke curling around my face for the 20 minutes before that. Slight tamp. Light a match, and back off to the races. I smoke smaller pipes, but routinely get hour long or more smokes off 1 flake. With this method, I get magic smokes almost every time.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
Dunhill Flake is superb. I think I have "near perfect", or perfect smokes, every time I smoke it.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I rub out my flakes and find the same burning properties as mountainman, I've tried fold and stuff and cube cut and have never had much success with it. Hmm, now you all have me thinking about which flake to smoke tonight!

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
I had been pretty happy with my flake but had trouble keeping a bowl lit very long without a relight. Tried several techniques. I wasn't *going* to do the Bob Tate thing (cutting it into little cubes) because I thought it would be too much hassle.
Turns out, it was a lot *less* hassle. My Swiss knife's scissors are very sharp and always with me. So, for me, last night, this little discovery gave *me* my near perfect smoke. I dumped them in kind of loose, and the light, the smoke, the flavor... wow. Really gave me the best from that flake.
Off to do it again! (Oh, and best part, now I can smoke the flake in my "lunch pipes," smaller bowls that I had to really finesse to fill with the flake before. Smoke just fine in them!

Status
Not open for further replies.