PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I had the most unsettling feeling today as I stood in what used to be the mountain cave headquarters of the Japanese Imperial Navy before we invaded them in WWII. I can't say where these caves are since they are not open to the public, but you could see the pick ax marks that the POWs left as the Japanese forced them to cut into the mountain. It felt like every mark on the wall was a scar on the soul of the man who made it. The people were long gone, but their pain remained in those caves; all 30 miles of it. There was a conference room close to the cave entrance with a huge wall sized map that the Japanese commanders used to plan attacks on allied forces in WWII. Up to this point I was overwhelmed and in awe of what lied before me until the tour guide said "We believe this is the room where the attack on Pearl Harbor was planned". All of the sudden I found myself feeling sad, upset, just a whole bunch of different things. It was a pretty emotional moment for me. I really wish more military folk could experience this. These caves do not even exist according to the Japanese. All records of their existence were destroyed before the war crime trials and many old Japanese do not speak of them because they are still ashamed of our unfortunate history together. I'll never forget this experience for as long as I live.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
That had to have been a real emotional place to visit.
I really doubt that the caves were where the Pearl Harbor attack was planned. It wasn't until we began bombing Tokyo that the HQ was moved underground.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A number of the Japanese naval high command knew that taking on the U.S. and the allies was not a good

longterm strategy, but once it was decided, it was their job. Militaries are often put in that position. They

can do what they are directed to do, but that doesn't mean they think it is in the best national interest.
There's an ancient poem from England about the sea captain Sir Patrick Spens who is commanded to go to

sea in the winter storms, which he knows he must do, though it is certain death. His reaction is to laugh,

though he knows he will go.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
It must be a strange feeling, indeed. My great Uncle was Christian missionary in Japan starting in the 1920's. He was there during the Great Kanto Earthquake in 1924 and helped provide relief. When the War broke out he chose to remain and was imprisoned until later being traded in a prisoner swap mediated by the Swiss government. He later wrote a book about his experiences which I read before being stationed in Japan during my stint in the US Air Force in the late 70's. While there I met some Japanese Christians (very rare) who remembered his work.
Also while serving overseas, I did temporary duty over in Korea which gave me an opportunity to see where my dad fought and was wounded during the Korean war. I had many occasions to reflect on the massive changes in Japanese society that occurred over a relatively short period of time.

lurch76

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2013
One thing that has been glossed over in history is how brutal the Japanese were during that time. The Germans get all of the bad press for their atrocities, but the Japanese were almost worse sometimes.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
My grandfather fought in the Pacific theatre also. He would never talk about it. All he would say is he saw and did horrible things. He prayed I would never have to fight in a war such as that.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
I really doubt that the caves were where the Pearl Harbor attack was planned. It wasn't until we began bombing Tokyo that the HQ was moved underground.

Again, there is no "Official" documentation on this. The history of these caves is only known from personal accounts, and extensive research from our naval community. It may or may not be where the attacks were planned. The caves themselves do not have periodic tours since they are located within an operational building and yours are really only by appointment if you know the right people. There are many people on base and even in the military who are totally unaware of their existence. They are not necessarily off limits to civilians with the exception of the conference room which located in a restricted space that can only be accessed by those with a security clearance. The Japanese have even denied access and the filming of documentaries by the Discovery Channel and the History Channel on numerous occasions in the past.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
@ kcghost - I welcome your challenge :)

The raid you're referring to (the "Doolittle Raid") took place in April 1942 following the Pearl Harbor attack. Then the HQ for the Japanese Govt was located in Tokyo, as well as the Imperial General Headquarters which is the Japanese equivalent of our Joint Chiefs of Staff. So you’re not totally wrong.
Ok now hold on to your seats gents… you’re in for a hell of a ride!!
Admiral Yamamoto Isoroku, Japan's greatest military strategist and the alleged mastermind behind the Pearl Harbor attacks was promoted to the rank of Admiral in November of 1940 and assigned to duties as Commander, Yokosuka Naval Base from 1940 to late 1942. Where are the caves located you ask? Yokosuka Naval Base! I figured I'd just disclose that since I did some research and apparently they're not a big secret to us. There IS very limited info on them though. Construction of the caves began in 1938 and was finished well before 1940. I don’t know about you, but if that’s not a coincidence then I don’t know what is! Here's where it gets REALLY crazy... based on what I've put together from my own research, Yokosuka Naval Base was the where the HQ was located for the Imperial Japanese Navy's 1st Air Fleet which was formed in April of 1941 (pretty close to game time). The unit consisted of ALL 7 of Japans Aircraft Carriers, 474 aircraft and based out of where!? Yokosuka Air Base! That’s the SAME Japanese force that was tasked with the attack on Pearl Harbor! And I literally JUST convinced myself that I stood in the SAME room where it all came together…..and now I’m mad again. It is a very humbling military/ historical experience though, considering I’ve also been to Pearl Harbor. Now, I’m off to go have a smoke in the honor of your fathers, grandfathers, and all of those who gave their lives to protect mine. This is exactly what I live for and exactly why I chose to turn down a free ride to college; to be a part of history.

sailorjeremy

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2014
Virginia
What about fellow military from other countries, Jeremy?
@ Junkyarddawg- Foreign allied military are allowed on base and I'm sure in the caves. Civilians can come on base if they're accompanied by someone in the miltary. However, like I said theres not really a formal tour "schedule". The officer that runs the "tour" does it strictly out of his own time and desire for it's historical preservation. I'm currently working on trying to schedule a few more tours with him for my Marines. I think its something EVERYONE should experience.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
@ kcghost - I welcome your challenge [:)]

The raid you're referring to (the "Doolittle Raid") took place in April 1942 following the Pearl Harbor attack. Then the HQ for the Japanese Govt was located in Tokyo, as well as the Imperial General Headquarters which is the Japanese equivalent of our Joint Chiefs of Staff. So you’re not totally wrong.
That is not what I am referring to. I am talking about the general bombing of the Japanese mainland once we got close enough to it. This would be circa 1944. And that is well after the Pearl Harbor.
The problem is the claim that the Pearl Harbor attack was planned in the caves. Yet, no proof of any kind was presented. Further, the Japanese had no motive to relocate their General HQ until threatened.
When people make claims like this it is their job to supply real proof as opposed to us that don't believe having to prove them wrong. In this case, simple date checking almost certainly puts the kibosh on this claim.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Odd as this may sound, I envy your experience. To stand in a place so horrible and historic....humbling indeed. So many have their lives.
Reminds me of when I was still a nurse and recovered a WWII vet from surgery- but he was German. Hitler Youth, SS, the whole thing. Crazy to meet the other side.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
One thing that has been glossed over in history is how brutal the Japanese were during that time. The Germans get all of the bad press for their atrocities, but the Japanese were almost worse sometimes.
Once you declare a people "non-human" there is no limit to what can be done to them. I think what sets the German atrocities apart from the Japanese is the scope and institutionalization of the "final solution".
No society is immune from this kind of thinking. The institution of slavery in America was every bit as horrendous as anything that happened in WWII. Don't forget we had our won eugenics programs here in the 30's as well.
Hopefully we have learned our lessons from history. Since these sorts of issues are not taught in Japanese schools I'm afraid the lessons may have been lost on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.