A Meerschaum Reborn... Before and After Pics.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Ok guys, before I get to the pics, let me just say that I actually wanted more of a rustic, well used antiquated sort of look for this pipe. I think it turned out pretty much the way I had it in mind. This is also the first Meerschaum I've tried my hand at restoring.
I first reamed the pipe, then did the stem work.

For the stem, I simply sanitized and cleaned with alcohol soaked bristled and fluffy pipe cleaners, then sanded the stem with 2000gr. sand paper, then polished with toothpaste, then finished with carnauba wax.
For the bowl, I first sanded with 320gr. sand paper to remove the old wax and rim charring, and to scuff the bowl up a bit. Then I sanded with 1000gr. to smooth it out. I quit sanding after the 1000gr., as I didn't really want a very slick and shiny finish.
After sanitizing the shank, it was time to finish the pipe.

For that, I used a hair dryer set on hot/low to heat the pipe. While holding the pipe in a clean rag, I heated it in one hand, and some 100% beeswax in the other. The pipe took the wax very well.

I would put one coat on, and buff with the rag while the pipe was still hot, then another coat.

After about 3 coats, I was pretty happy.
So here's the pics!
Before;

image269-600x409.jpg

image270-600x413.jpg

image271-600x330.jpg

And here's the after pics;
image316-600x437.jpg

image315-600x562.jpg

image314-600x396.jpg

image313-551x600.jpg

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
No, I haven't smoked it yet. I just finished it a little while ago. I figure I'll smoke it this week some time.

It'll be dedicated to English/Balkan blends by the way.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Look at the last picture with the yellow lines from the rim down. Is that a trick of light or a result of the alcohol and wax used in the cleaning? I had it with one meerschaum I purchased back in the 1980s that I still smoke and looked just like that after I cleaned it.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
That's partially the light, and partially the way it looks.

I didn't use any alcohol on the bowl at all, only sand paper.

I did run a few pipe cleaners, damp with alcohol, through the shank, followed by dry ones.

Even then, I was very sparing with the alcohol.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Great job!
While looking at it, an idea popped into my head. Would the stuff that they soak dentures in work on a Meerschaum?

Status
Not open for further replies.