PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
I have a jar that is for just such a thing.
I always seem to slightly overestimate how much it will take to fill the bowl of any given pipe. I lay the 'baccy out to dry, and once ready, I pack the bowl. There always seems to be just a little bit left though. I take that little bit and put it into this jar. At the moment it must be a blend of Sir Walter Riley, Petersons Old Dublin and Sherlock Holmes, Palidin Black Cherry, and maybe a bit of Captain Black Gold, and a couple of house blends from my local B&M.
All in all, theres maybe a third of an ounce by now, but it seems fairly tasty tonight.

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
I think thats a neat idea. I may start one, I usually just dump the extra little bit back, but Ive been smokig va flakes a lot, so the little bits just get lost in the tin.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
roth, I do the exact same as you, I just put it back. Now if I am at the end of a tin and there is not enough for a full bowl, I just open another tin. So no I don't think you are strange at all, or maybe we are both strange. lol

sebastian

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2013
Different does not necessarily mean strange. Its why I asked. Truth be known, I'd bet that im the oddity.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I have a jar I call "Toaster Leavin's" ( a tip of the hat to Al Bundy). There are no less than remnants of 20 blends co-mingling at this point. I'm not sure what I'm giong to do with it but it is an interesting excercise and doesn't smell half bad either. Its sorta like taking the few drop left in liquor bottles and mixing them. You never know what you'll wind up with.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I just put mine back in the tin or jar also. I think a lot of folks use the scrap or odds & ends jars. I bet they would make for some interesting smoking.

dlattim

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 27, 2012
I do it a lot. Funny, I also call mine "leavin's". It's fun to smoke it and see what I've got.

Jan 8, 2013
I've started doing that myself, and being a newbie I was planning on asking if it's a good idea or not. I've not bought any mason jars yet (will do soon, sell them at work) so I'm just sticking it in a baggy. At the moment it's just a bit of Captain Black and some Super Value. But I'll be ordering a couple tins online pretty soon, Black House and Hearth and Home's Caramel Apple Pie (I might be wrong but I think Baronsamedi mentioned the Caramel Apple Pie to me in a PM... I'll have to look)and one or two other thingies and that stuff's gonna go in the bag as well, I'm sure. Perhaps I'll call it "Puffin Stuff" :)
EDIT: I went ahead and labeled it "Puffin Stuff"... it's official.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
haha i have a mixed jar as well. it's made of kinds i've bought but didn't like. there's some Billy Budd, some MacB burly, some C&D Cherry, its quite a horrible mess but i'll keep it for hard times down the road.

Sep 27, 2012
Upland, CA.
I put mine back in the tin or jar as well. If I don't have enough for a full bowl and no more in the tin/jar then I'll mix a bit then... But yeah more times than not they don't mix.

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
i also have a mix jar but Ive never given it a try, I want to fill the jar completely before I give it a go.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
I don’t like to mix them so it goes back in the rotation bottles/tins. With the flake I tap the bottle and it gives me the kindling for topping off the cube cut.
Craig

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
Pipesandcigars.com has a blend that is just like that. They take the scraps left over from blending and mix them all together. It's called Best Of The Rest, and it's only $13.99 for a pound. However, you never know what you are gonna get. It could be wonderful or horrible. It's been discussed on the forum before, I remember a guy saying he got a wonderful English from it.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
In that situation I put the tobacco back in to its corresponding jar. The only mix I call Yorkshire Mix, comprised of tobacco that hasn't been enough for a bowl, too dry (and not worth rehydrating), stuff that Im not keen on. Like the P&C Best of the Rest blend, never know what I might get!

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I was waiting to read if anyone else does what I do but I guess not. I put them back in the bag/pouch/tin it came from but when there's just a little left like less then half a bowl of crumbs I roll it up in a filtered nail and save it for those times I don't have too much time.
Edit: I dry it out for a day break it up if I need to them roll it with a cigarette roller I got off the bay along with filters. I've done this with CB, McB Vanilla Cream and Boswells chocolate cream all worked out nicely. Smoke it slow tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.