Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1971-KERRY-S-WATHEN-UNIQUE-CARVED-PIPE-A-SITTER-/321621099758?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae21c84ee
Opinions :?

bulldogbriar89

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 3, 2014
I agree with Orley it looks like a pice of Coral, or maybe a really rooted out pice of a log.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
It's not my cup of tea but it does remind me of some of the work that Preban Holm did for the Harcourt line, owned by Dunhill, at the same period. I supposed that was considered avant garde at the time.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
Didn't Micoli do that sort of extreme rustication on pipes and have it well received at the time. Even now Micoli's pipes seem to command large dollars for what looks like a drunk with a dremmel got lose on a pipe.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
@mcitinner1: sorry, but after talking it over with my wife, she decided she wanted in on the avatar too! Not gonna argue that, she's great and smokes a pipe too! :puffy:
@jcsnaps: I agree with the Micoli reference. I had one in the 80s, and sold it as it was not comfortable to hold.

darwin

Apr 9, 2014
Geez. The thing looks like it's been assaulted by a million termites.

darthcider

Jan 24, 2014
Wales
The mouthpiece spoils it for me, it looks like cheap plastic.

Think it would sit on the shelf and never get smoked, but a different mouthpiece would improve its looks a lot.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That finish is oddly appealing to me, but not $200 worth.
$_57.JPG

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
If you collect Mocoli's or similar pipes, the stranger examples seem to command the best resale prices. Three collectors seem to want that one for their collection. It would be fun to see the collection of the one who valued it to that level, as I expect this is not the only example of this style in his collection.

Status
Not open for further replies.