A Little Tech Stuff...What Operating System Do You Choose to Use?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 12, 2011
This household is PURE Linux Mint...Outstanding OS...check it out http://www.linuxmint.com/

carrieunderwood-linuxmint-600x450.jpg

Aug 14, 2012
I use google chrome because it is fast and easy, and if there are problems they take care of them very quickly. My criticism of them is that it is hard to get to older emails. And they spy on you to custom tailor ads. That doesn't really bother me, not being a terrorist. I am also a fan of google picasa, to store photographs. Not exactly photoshop, but free, and getting better all the time.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
@Jud: You are not technically correct. Chrome is indeed an OS as well as a browser. Chromebooks only run ChromeOS on their notebooks.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Chrome_OS

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
That doesn't really bother me, not being a terrorist.
What worries me about spying is that what is considered patriotic one day can be seen as anti-gov't the next. Remember, anything you say can and will be used against you.

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Wow, I didn't realize pipe smoking these days could be laden with so many tough decisions. My technical skills are related to my carpentry skills: nonexistent

Aug 14, 2012
Jud & Guys: What the F do I know about computers? I can barely use mine. I never would even have one if I hadn't married a scandalously young woman who put a computer on my desk, turned it on and said "you figure it out, click on things." I am still a beginner, figuring it out.

Aug 14, 2012
Six: Uh Oh. I have written to the President twice this week, and to the governor twice too. Don't regret it. They can hang me if they want.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
I built this desktop a few years back to edit video and installed 64bit Windows Vista. I am ready to upgrade...

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Mostly Windows 7 around the house, with one Ubuntu netbook for experimental purposes. I have a VM lab set up on my laptop, with 2 servers running Windows Server 2003 on a short-term licenses while I prep for the Network + exam. Work machines are mostly Win7, with servers running Windows Server 2008 R2.
Have been running WinTel boxes since I bought my first 386 in college, and I remember Windows for Workgroups (shudder). Had to purchase and install a serial port card to operate my first mouse after upgrading to Windows 3.1. :D

yaboofive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2010
Mint for me, however my wife prefers windows so my computer is a dual boot.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
I have Windows 7 and I hate every second or it. I don't know why, I just don't like it. It come with the computer when we bought it and I am just too lazy to change it. It's sooon time for a new computer as this one is close to 2 yrs old now.

Jul 12, 2011
@nsfisher~I would give a Linux Distro (Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.) a try...I find the newer MS OSs are "bloated" I have upgraded several systems, older than 2 years and they run like greased~lighting after a Linux Distro install 8)
IMHO~Linux Mint 15 has a sweet/simple installer...a few clicks and you are "up & running"
I love MS OS for Enterprises, as it keeps me making $$$...so many damn bugs, problems, infections,etc. I will be working on fixing it...FOREVER :worship:
But just like the pipe smoking journey of smoke what you like/like what you smoke...same goes for OSs~Use what you like, like what you use :clap:
Interesting thread here...lets keep it going

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Win 7 Pro - 64-bit OS here.

@smokingdragon - Just curious - What are the limitations that one may encounter when switching to Linux? Will all of the 64 and 32 bit Windows apps run correctly?
I am tired of finagling to make things work properly when switching from one OS to another.

Status
Not open for further replies.