PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've noticed I get a little more dottle with plug or flake tobacco than with loose.

I stop smoking a bowl when it goes out after a few puffs and/or when the flavor

becomes less than good, mostly the flavor. I don't mind dottle; I consider the

unburnt tobacco has acted as a filter for the rest of the bowl. Have you had this

experience -- more dottle with flake and plug?
P.S. I do not rescue dottle. I pitch it in compost and start over.

clarkj734

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2014
Yes. I don't worry about dottle. I stop smoking when the flavor diminishes and / or I'm no longer getting the enjoyment...then I dump.
And I never save dottle

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
I as well have no problem dumping a bowl if it begins to turn near the bottom. I've found if I ash my bowl it helps a lot, but I don't cry over spilled tobacco if the little packed plug falls out as well.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
Oddly, I find that flake tobacco burns better and more thoroughly than loose tobacco. Most kinds of aromatics usually end up with plenty of dottle, which I figured was due to the higher moisture content.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I smoke flakes exclusively and rarely have any dottle left over. My problem is chasing the flavor to the bottom and sucking in a mouthful of burning ash, that sucks.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Since going to primarily a cube cut and drying it to a crisp I've had less dottle.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
cobguy, you really should not dry your flakes to a crisp, they do lose flavor being too dry. If you pack firmly with a moister flake, you should not have much if any dottle left over. Give it a shot. I pack my flakes so it feels like I am sipping a thin milk shake through a straw. I find I get a much cooler and tastier smoke using this method.

I should also add that I never smoke flakes in a cob, I find the cob does not smoke my flakes nearly as well as a good briar.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I find trying to smoke the bowl to white ash just diminishes the quality of the flavor with any tobacco,

loose, flake, or plug. It's worth it to me to pitch the dottle and experience the fine crescendo at the

bottom of the smoke without worrying about a few bits of unburned tobacco. When I get the white

ash finish, and the flavor is all good, that's a bonus.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
cobguy, you really should not dry your flakes to a crisp, they do lose flavor being too dry
I agree ... some do lose a little flavor but others almost seem better.
It always amazes me at how much moisture and expansion are still present once the flame hits it.
I'll try them a little more moist ... will your cubes still stick together when squeezed?

... does the flake still bend or does it snap in half?

Status
Not open for further replies.