PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWieP5Zq6og&feature=youtu.be
There's my video describing the situation.
I suppose I could send it back to Jordan, but I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.
Any pipe crafter who feels he has the time, inclination, skills and tools to do the adjustments I'm thinking of for this pipe, as is said in the video, I could probably make a fairly tempting offer of tobacco in trade for services rendered, or would pay a reasonable amount.
PM me, thanks.
-Mike M

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
Ah so you know him. He probably is, and that's all the more reason why I don't want to tell him to "try again"
(update: you caught me mixing up Jason and Jordan somehow, sorry)
and yes you're exactly right about what I want changed. I'm not a complete klutz, I "probably" could manage these adjustments, but my main worry is that it would be my first time working with briar, and I'd have to kick my own ass if I cracked it.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
I'd say send it back if you're not happy. Personally, I wouldnt feel right tweaking someone elses pipe.

What if you werent happy with the rework, is it Jordans fault, or the second guy that worked on it ?

Its like asking a tattoo artist to fix anothers screwup... Most artists wont come near someone elses work for just that reason. If you werent happy with it before, theres a good chance you wont be happy with it after.

He shouldnt be offended.

nsfisher

Lifer
Nov 26, 2011
Nova Scotia, Canada
Ya mate, totally agree, send it back to maker. I am pretty sure the maker won't mind doing alterations to a sold pipe and to keep a customer happy, providing you supply some incentive. If I made a pipe for you, and you had issues with it, I would want you to contact me. Nice pipe BTW

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
I'vebeen thinking of getting Jordan to make me one. Looks like he's a young carver who's doing great work and can use some support. I would send him a note or give him a buzz.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I suppose it might be worth risking offending him. If he takes it the right way, then he will probably discover something new about pipe making.
I had him send me pics of pipes he's made in the past before I took him up on this, and they have been progressively getting better.
Hmm. Might be a three pipe problem. :puffpipe:

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
The number one advantage to buying a pipe from the Artisan pipemaker, is that you go directly back to him if there is a problem. I have had tremendous success with Bob Hayes who makes all of my pipes (14). I urge you to go back to the maker! It is the right thing to do. Me thinks he will try to please you. And, that is what it is all about!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
If the pipe is not satisfactory you should definitely bring it to the attention of the maker and give him the opportunity to fix it.
But in my experience a draft chamber can't be "off center" (like a tobacco chamber can be). It doesn't impact the smoking characteristics at all and in the case of a free hand, it's part of the overall aesthetic.
I also doubt that there's any "varnish" or "lacquer" applied.
My advice is, unless there's a problem with the engineering, leave the aesthetics alone. No offense meant to Jason/Jordan but he's a pretty new pipe carver. He's just starting out and not charging that much for his work. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.