PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Hello!
I'm new to the pipe smoking and today I got my first pipe.

After my first smoke I noticed that I burned the pipe a little. It was quite windy outside so the flame was probably gently touching the inside of the pipe. Should I pay more attention to the flame or even slow down smoking or is it ok and it will eventualy start to build some cake?

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Thank you! :) The inside of the bowl. I was trying to upload some pictures, but it's gonna take me a minute.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
smoking_pipe

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I would not worry about that, from the pictures that is just the wood darkening wich is normal and in time the whole inside of the bowl will be covered in a crust of carbon and be blackened. An beginning burn out would change the shape of the bowl and forming an indent and develop so called "spider webbing" in later stages. Relax a little^^ I would just not recommend smoking a pipe outside in windy conditions if at all possible.

I know this is terrible of me. We should take all posts and questions seriously, but I hesitate... to laugh, in case this is a serious question. And, if it is a serious question... I'm not sure how to answer it without sounding sarcastic. But, if you don't want the inside of a cup to get wet, you can't drink out of it. If you don't want the pipe to get burned, don't set things on fire inside of it.

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
Thank you very much! I tried to gather as much information as I could before I ordered the pipe and took up pipe smoking and I was really afraid of breaking it in. I will try to keep calm a bit.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, not to worry. You really want to blacken the entire chamber- the start of building cake.
And don't smoke in the wind until the pipe is more broken in!
IMG_20181003_180915_HDR.jpg

What is the material? It doesn't look like briar to me.

eaglewriter1

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2018
I have seen something similiar in a few Pipes I got in an Estate-Lot simply being marked as London Made no names, that had a wooden plug with two holes in the back and front for the smoke drilled in them. Also the Vauen Enzian has a similiar design with the draft hole being in the middle of the bowl instead of at the edge.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Those kind of burns can also happen if you hold the pipe such as the rim is at a downward angle when lighting it, as the flame tends to shoot upwards. I've charred my cobs like that, although in their case the whole rim has been charred.

readix

Lurker
Oct 3, 2018
One more advice, please. I have 3 tobaccos. Hearth & Home WhiteKnight, Capstan flake blue and Bulk tobacco - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist flake. I tried only H&H Whiteknight because it's Latakia and oriental based tobacco which should burn cooler than straight virginia that is naturaly very sweet. Should I be (once more) afraid to smoke Capstan and Peter Stokkebye in such fresh pipe? :?

It is not going to matter, readix. What people refer to when the say that Virginias burn hotter is NOT the actual temperature of the combustion of the leaf, but the way it feels. Virginias are just a tad more acidic, and acid multiplies the experience of heat on the tongue. Drying the tobacco helps a lot, as water steam also causes more burning on the tongue.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Something I learned from Cosmic was not to insert the flame into the bowl onto the tobacco. Hold the flame above the bowl and draw the flame down into it. I do it so I don't char the rim of my pipes.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
You have picked some great tobaccos to break in your pipe. I'm happy there are no aromatic blends in your list, as they can be hard for new pipers to smoke. Aromatics do build cake fast, though! While you're building cake on that new briar, don't worry that you're having to relight a number of times. Better that than puffing to keep it lit. New pipe smokers tend to pack the bowl too tightly with tobacco that is too damp and puff too hard in order to get lots of smoke, but this creates an overheated bowl and burnt tongue. You're not only breaking in a pipe, you're early in the learning curve and breaking in your tongue.
Also, when lighting, try using wooden matches. It's a little harder to damage a bowl or overheat your tobacco with a match.
Finally, don't be too disappointed if you see the back inner edge of the bowl start to show signs of scorching. It can be hard to avoid with many pipes. Consider it part of the learning process. Blackening on the flat of the rim is usually just tar and can generally be rubbed off with a soft cloth. Best to do that after every smoke and you'll avoid a buildup that's hard to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.