PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karlj

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Steger, IL
Id like to compile a list of all the different cake/plug tobaccos. Im talking about the tobacco that comes in a large chunk or brick, un sliced. The couple Ive tried, I like. So I thought it would be cool to put together a list of all the different blenders and what they call it. So here is the ones I know.
Seattle Pipe Club Plum Pudding

Cornell & Diehl Pirate Kake

G.L.Pease JackKnife Plug

May 31, 2012
A cool thing I recently discovered was the super handy advanced search feature over at TobaccoReviews.com
Great for finding the fit for a specific taste, strength or other characteristic.
Scroll down to "choose cut" and they list both plug and krumble cake:

-use this form to find blends that have very specific combinations of attributes-
I gotta say, I'm withya on plugs, I think GLP JackKnife just may be my favorite blend ever...I wish we could get the Ilsted plugs over here, like JKP, it also looks yummy, rich & satisfying!
I've yet to try Triple Play but I got some on the way...
...also, Wessex GoldBrick is a good solid Va.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
A lot of times the "cake/kake" tobacco you're looking for will sometimes come in half cake half loose form due to shiping and handling it will unfold into it's loose form.
If you're looking for cake and plug tobacco it makes no sense to exclude flake tobacco since it's been compressed more so than kake tobacco and equal to or less than plug tobacco.
I would actually put flake and plugs on the same level, since flakes are only flakes because the manufacterer slices the massive plug for you... so technically it was a plug before it was sliced.
And if you're favoring kake over a flake.... that's just strange.
If i were to put them in order according to least married to most married it would go kake, flake, plug.

sergemoat

Can't Leave
Oct 15, 2011
3 P's (Peterson's Perfect Plug)

Not sure if unsliced rope tobacco would fit your criteria or not, but there are a bunch of those out there also.

May 31, 2012
"I would actually put flake and plugs on the same level, since flakes are only flakes because the manufacterer slices the massive plug for you... so technically it was a plug before it was sliced."

"And if you're favoring kake over a flake.... that's just strange."

For me, the plugg'd version of JKP is definitely more rich 'n creamy than the ReadyRubb'd version, perhaps it's the melding & marrying of the blend when it's so tightly compressed?
Whatever it is, there is a slight difference, similar to the subtle flavors coming out by packing flakes intact as whole folded strips affects the taste profile in a different manner than rubbing the flakes out...however tiny of a variation it may be depends on an individuals particular palate & preferences...

...and all of this is just my opinion.

:puffpipe:

karlj

Lurker
Jan 2, 2012
Steger, IL
If you're looking for cake and plug tobacco it makes no sense to exclude flake tobacco since it's been compressed more so than kake tobacco and equal to or less than plug tobacco
Im excluding flake tobacco. Its not a plug. Its not a cake/kake. Its a flake. Call me strange but I prefer the look of a block of tobacco over the appearence of a flake of tobacco. 8)
As such, Id like to know who else markets their tobacco in blocks(not flakes)

-Karl

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Samuel Gawith has plugs. Grousemoor and Kendal that I know of, but they're hard to find.

Gawith & Hoggarth has several plugs as well.

You already have Pease Jack Knife
There's several Kakes out there sold in block I think. But you can always call C&D and ask if you can get any of their Krumble Kakes in a block and they have several: bow legged bear, Kajun Kake, etc. Same goes for Russ Ouelette with Anniversary, Marble and Classic Burley Kake. I'd give them a buzz.
And lowercase already mentioned the search feature on tobaccoreviews.com
Good luck.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
RB Plug(G&H)

St. James Plug (SG)

Dark Plug (G&H)

FVF Plug (SG)
UK Plugs (that is, only available in the UK)

Revor Plug

Warrior Plug

Mick McQuaid Plug

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Stimulus Package and Ten Russians are two of my favorites. Weesex Gold Block is a light-ish Virginia that's fun once in a while. Keep in mind that C&D will press almost any of their blends upon request.
For me, flakes, coins and broken flakes are a completely different creature than cakes or plugs. A few years ago I bought a pound of Ten Russians and rubbed a couple of cakes out, and sliced a couple cakes before jarring them. The difference in the taste is remarkable, and it's all due to the preparation of the tobacco before aging.

May 31, 2012
4787411965_3f94e5b707.jpg

here's a pic from another thread here at PM.com of some JKP with a dusting of sugar crystals...I have one tin from 6/11 and I can't wait to pop it open...but I must try to wait!

IMG_6247.JPG

"Now turning the 6-month corner the plug is exhibiting remarkable marbling of sugar crystals, and the bouquet is expansive and complex."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

...(((& here's a good review of Triple Play)))...

An oddity which may interest you is Tambolaka. I've yet to experience it, but from what I gather, it's a very strong full-bodied smoke prepared in an old-world manner, could it be called a plug?

tambo.jpg

Indonesian farmers toil in their islands' rich limestone soils to grow their flavorful tobacco leaves. After harvesting and air drying the leaves the unique aging process begins. The villagers roll the leaves of pure tobacco which they then bind using hand made cord to protect from the outside air. They then put these bundles inside their primitive huts and store them for 5 years as the tobacco becomes richer by the day. A spectacular blend of Cigar leaf and Burley.

Status
Not open for further replies.