PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have come to the conclusion that I need to dedicate some of my pipes to my Virginia/Burley/Kentucky blends. I am smoking Solani Silver Flake, Stonehaven, Old Dark Fired, Irish Flake, Univesity Flake and Navigator which are all in the above category. I have been smoking all of those in my VA flake pipes and while they all taste great, I am thinking they might taste even better if I dedicate some pipes to them. Since the University is topped with plum, I am going to dedicate a couple of pipes to that one exclusively, because I do think it does leave a little ghost behind. The Navigator while topped with rum has such a light touch of it, I don't think I will need to dedicate pipes to that exclusively.
So now the big question is, which pipes do I use, this is going to take some real thinking on my part. I am going to have to make a list now to keep track of which pipes are my va, vaper and vabur ones. So does anyone else dedicate pipes to vabur's or do you think I am nuts?

May 31, 2012
You ain't nuts!
I have a pipe dedicated to Stonehaven and it does enrich the whole experience,

I recently had a bowl in one of my more "general" burley pipes and the effect

was very noticeable of just how much better the dedicated pipe tasted,

it's a true V conical-bowl dublin.

Jul 15, 2011
I often smoke Virginias and pure burleys in the same pipe with no ill effect. It has come to my attention that a lot of blends claiming to be all Virginia have a portion of some burley in them anyway, I dont think it hurts anything. There are people who like to dedicate pipes in different ways, and I adhere to that to a certain extent. I never put VA in any of my Latakia pipes, and vice versa. I used to put aromatics in my VA pipes but aromatics are restricted strictly to corn cob pipes now. I think the main difference between you and I is that you smoke the same tobaccos on a regular basis where as I rarely smoke the same tobacco twice. Seeing as how you know all these blends intimately, I would be curious to hear how the flavor is affected in dedicated pipes. If you should continue to go forward with this, Id like to hear your findings.

chubbster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2013
Harris
My Larry Roush is dedicated to FVF. I can't begin to tell you how great every so for smoke is out of that pipe. I am a firm believer that some blends, mainly Va, benefit from a dedicated pipe. I can imagine that having a dedicated pipe to certain blends will only benefit your smoking, given that you have enough pipes to do so.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
cigrmaster,

I have sensitive taste buds also and it was a must to separate-out my pipes for different blends. Unfortunately, that means buying more pipes! 8O

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Harris,
Not only do I not think your crazy I think that this is a very thoughtful and methodical process that shows you are trying to get the very best out of every smoke. Let us know if it makes a marked difference for you. I might just follow suit. Of course that is a good excuse to buy a few more pipe lol was looking for an excuse!

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
Harris, as new into this as I am I notice that Latakia blends don't play well with Virginia blends when you smoke VA after having smoked a Lat blend. Like a lot of new guys I was skeptical of all the talk of dedicated pipes. I'm a skeptic no more. I'm following the lead of you more experienced guys and finding that what you are doing makes sense. Of course, it means I have to buy a lot more pipes. Darn! I hate when that happens! :D

tennsmoker

Lifer
Jul 2, 2010
Harris: I think you are right about dedicating pipes to particular blends. I don't do that, but I do want to mention what an oldtimer told me once: when starting with a new pipe, you first should smoke a Virginia as the first couple of bowls. You can go from Virginia to an English later, but you can't break a pipe in with an English and then go to the Virginia and expect not to have a ghost or two running around.
Don't know if that makes sense or not, but I have always stuck by that, and it seems to work. But, then, I smoke Vas, Vapers, Vaburs, English, Burleys, etc., in all my pipes.The only thing they are deidicated to is tobacco. However, they are all broken with with a straight (as straight as can be, that is) pure Virginia.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for all the suggestions and opinions guys. I do dedicate my Lane Era Charatan Dublin to FVF because of how well it smokes it. I am thinking of dedicating one of my Rad Davis Lovats to Stonehaven because the last 4 times or so, I have smoked it in that exclusively and it does taste great. I am currently smoking a bowl of Univesity Flake in an older Upshall Apple and it is performing really well so I will dedicate that one for a while. I have 21 blends that I smoke on a regular basis and another 4 that I smoke once in a while but do cellar quite a bit of it. I really don't have enough pipes( 38 I smoke on a regular basis) to dedicate them all to specific blends. I am thinking of dedicating 5 pipes to the Vabur's to start and see how that goes.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
I suggest you give your collection to me and start smoking your rotation from fresh Rad's to see what fits. :lol: In all honesty that is a tough one and I am too novice to offer solid advise. Best of luck though. I would love to hear what you come up with. Please keep up informed as to what works best for you.

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Up to a year ago I smoked on latakia blends in all of my pipes. A year ago I began smoking mostly straight Virginia blends, why I waited 25 years I do not know. Converting a exclusively latakia pipe to a Virginia pipe only takes about five or six bowls. It is a good practice to thoroughly clean the converted pipes with an alcohol product first and ream the bowl if is thicker than a nickel. Once cleaned and reamed it only takes a few bowls to convert between one type of tobacco and another type.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I might become more enlightened, but right now, I want to be able to choose a pipe, and then a tobacco, without

any restrictions. It would bother me to have designated pipes for certain tobaccos. Luckily, with my willful

attitude on this, I'm not much bothered by ghosts. Should that become a problem, I'd have to do major cleaning

and label sections of my racks. This is my five hundredth post; now that really has me worried!

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
That's an interesting idea, Harris. The only dark-fired blends I regularly smoke are Irish Flake, Triple Play and some Lakelands, but the Lakelands have their own pipes. So it's just the two blends for me. Still, I find the Triple Play leaves a ghost in my VA pipes, so dedicating a pipe might be a good idea for a couple of reasons. I've been looking to try the Solani burley flakes and the MacB Dark Fired anyway, so I think I'll try dedicating at least one pipe.

cgrd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
Since the University is topped with plum, I am going to dedicate a couple of pipes to that one exclusively, because I do think it does leave a little ghost behind

This may be a good time to pick up a bottle of Slivovitz (Distilled plum brandy) to use for cleaning. Although there's no reason to not drink it too. Just plan on 3 drinks...the first one makes you say "Why?". The second one makes you say "Ok.", and after the third you say "More!" :)

john218

Part of the Furniture Now
May 5, 2012
Connecticut
Harris, let us know how this works out.
It sounds like a good idea to me.
I am starting to dedicate most of my pipes to Va/Vapers and English Blends and putting the English blend and Va pipes in separate racks. Have you thought of keeping track that way?

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
So does anyone else dedicate pipes to vabur's or do you think I am nuts?

I think you're nuts -- not sayin' that it's a bad thing. :lol:
...we are all diseas'd

And with our surfeiting and wanton hours

Have brought ourselves into a burning fever,

And we must bleed for it...

-- Shakespeare (2 Henry IV, iv:1)

Status
Not open for further replies.