Tags:  No tags yet. 

A Latakia Love Story, What`s Yours?

(44 posts)
  • Started 1 year ago by mindovermatter
  • Latest reply from gkr1
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

mindovermatter

Login to Send PM

My first pipe tobacco was Captain black gold. We met in my early 20`s and its the only tobacco I knew for quite some time. One day, about 10 years ago, I stopped by a cigar shop in NYC and got introduced to a tobacco blend by the name of Gordon Pymm, it had a scent I never knew existed in pipe tobaccos, A wonderful mixture of a camp fire,Smokey, barbecuey aromas. I couldn't resist, I loaded my bowl with it and the wonderful scent filled up the small room I stayed in. It was a love at first sight! Since then I had purchased a couple Aromatic tobaccos, but I still find Latakia English blend my favorite and when I have the craving for something sweet I rather eat something then smoke something.

What was your first encounter with Latakia? Was it a positive experience?

Posted 1 year ago #
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

tom12

Login to Send PM

Dunhill 965 nearly 20 years ago, first off I thought why am I smoking this horror but after finishing the bowl I was completely converted to it. My favourite now is Maltese Falcon with about two years age on it. Trying to stock up so that I never go without.

Posted 1 year ago #
  3. leatherman

leatherman

Login to Send PM

My first Latakia tobacco was a tin of Frog Morton On The Town. On first opening the tin, I fell in love with that smokey aroma. I've since tried many blends containing Latakia but OTT is my favorite. I also really like McClellands P.M. Pipe.

Posted 1 year ago #
  4. edwinbaz

edwinbaz

Login to Send PM

Early Morning Pipe six years ago. Up to that point I had smoked some Cherry Cavendish that a local smoke shop carried. I included EMP on my first online order and it was my first aha tobacco moment. So different, so easy to pack, no bite, so campfirey. I smoked it then in my first briar, a Stanwell bulldog. Sure, the average yearround temperature in PR is in the 80's°F, but that hasn't stopped my affinity for the smoky dark leaf.

Posted 1 year ago #
  5. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first latakia blend was Hearth & Home Blackhouse. When I first joined the forum in January of 2013, there were a bunch of guys touting Black House led by a member called BaronSamedi. I called him The Baron of Black House. They called themselves Black Bloods, a small sect within the membership here that all went on and on and on and on and on blah blah blah about the blend. They were SO ANNOYING! Very similar to those of us calling ourselves the Brothers Of The Black Frigate (check out Cornell & Diehl's Black Frigate... it's freaking amazing!!!!) Oh wait, where was I? Oh yeah... Black House! So I finally decided to try it, and I kid you not I fell in love at first light and immediately considered myself one of those annoying Black Bloods. And I still do. Although now I'm an annoying Black Blooded Brother of The Black Frigate From The Blue Mountains because Blue Mountain/Balkan Blue is freaking fantastic too!

Arrrrr, shiver me timbers! International Talk Like a Pirate Day is September the 19th!!!
    Brothers Of The Black Frigate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  6. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap. Taste was powerful and strange and I remember that I found it more interesting than pleasant. The next day I smoked it again and fell in love. These days I smoke it a couple times a month and it is perfect everytime.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  7. mikestanley

mikestanley

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't remember what my first was but Balkan Sobrainie 759 and McClelland Bombay Extra were certainly favorites. That was in 1988 and went on for a few years. These days,Bombay Court is more enjoyable. Currently, I have a tin of Nat Sherman 536 open to satisfy my Latakia tastes.
    Mike S.

Posted 1 year ago #
  8. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can't remember back that far. Most likely something Dunhill. Must have been positive as I'm still smoking English blends among others.

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  9. virginialover

virginialover

Login to Send PM

McClelland - Bombay Extra (Personal Reserve)was my first mixture with Latakia, quite exotic, for me, at the time.

Posted 1 year ago #
  10. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I encountered Nightcap in a long smoke in a big bowl and it was a nicotine experience more than a taste discovery. I stuck with it and enjoyed both aspects. But then I found Nat Sherman 536 and realized that Latakia could be both subtle and refined, and that gave it more dimension. Now I like both versions, but I don't need it to be dominant every time to be enjoyable. It was a gradual discovery, not a ah-ha moment.

Posted 1 year ago #
  11. prairiedruid

prairiedruid

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My love affair with latakia started with Dunhill London Mixture which I still enjoy to this day. My heart break latakia story is slowly unfolding as I smoke my cellar of 3 Oaks Syrian. I have enough for 7-10 years if I pace myself so at least it will be a long goodbye.

Posted 1 year ago #
  12. perdurabo

perdurabo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one I fell in love with? C&D Buffalo Soldier

It's not my position nor want to help another man. It's his responsibility to help himself, as where he can learn to dig down deep enough to save himself. -I. Kidd
    Posted 1 year ago #
  13. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

After smoking 95% of the time only Lat based blends and building a handsome cellar accordingly to my preferences....
    Several months ago while on pilgrimage got sick and afterwards Latakia started to taste odd and tasteless to my palate.

Swapped to Vapers/Vaburs/Va blends which suddenly started tasting way better than before.
    And guess what now I am rebuilding my cellar ... accordingly to my new taste

Posted 1 year ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

sumusfumus

Login to Send PM

My pipe-smoking adventures, started back in 1966 with "Mixture No. 79", and "Sugar Barrel". Those old-timey, OTC blends were all I could buy, and all I knew. Struggled through some bad smokes, for years, and then, gave up the pipe. Many years past by, and I decided that I wanted to smoke my old pipes again. Joined the NY Pipe Club. Back in the day, a gent named Sailorman Jack was the club president. He smoked a mixture that contained prodigious amounts of Latakia and cigar-leaf. The smoke wafting from his pipe choked me, gagged me, made my eyes water, and it smelled like burnt leather. The smoke was overpowering. A stench to beat all stenches! To each his own, but I eventually had to quit going to any more meetings. No harm, no foul. I just had a very bad reaction to Latakia. Strong cigars do the same thing to me. Go figure.

So....I learned that Latakia was not my friend, and now I smoke only those blends without Latakia. So how come my favorite blend is my own, home-brewed concoction, that has a small amount of Latakia and cigar-leaf in it?

SMALL amounts of Latakia, I think, give a very special, exotic aroma to room-smoke, and I don't find that piney quality unpleasant at all. Strong, Latakia forward blends, IMO, are not very smeller-friendly, and the heavy, burning-leathery, room-notes can be quite repulsive. Heavy-robust-strong Englishy blends are hard to take, smell-wise. Something to keep in mind.

Your smoke, matters.

Frank
    NYC

Posted 1 year ago #
  15. menuhin

menuhin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first English blend was Butera Pelican.
    It took me a journey to go from "people smoke this kind of hideous stuff?!" to "English blends are divine and classic".

Posted 1 year ago #
  16. jayski

jayski

Login to Send PM

Not long ago in what seems like a place far far away I tried my first English. Tsuge: Ryujin was the name. It was strong, earthy and Smokey. Love the stuff. Alas, I cannot find it anymore.

"[Kipling] sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  17. deathmetal

deathmetal

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nightcap (RIP)

"My own experience has been that the tools I need for my trade are paper, tobacco, food, and a little whiskey." -- William Faulkner

The Metal Mixtures
    Posted 1 year ago #
  18. thomasw

thomasw

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I do smoke English blends, it is usually Nightcap or Northwoods.

After some time he felt for his pipe. It was not broken, and that was something. Then he felt for his pouch, and there was some tobacco in it, and that was something more. Then he felt for matches and he could not find any at all, and that shattered his hopes completely.

The Hobbit
    Posted 1 year ago #
  19. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Burlington Arcade. Hasn't been around for over 20 years. Anyone cotton to it?

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  20. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

admiral, I always warn new pipe smokers that their tastes will change, but it goes for us all. That doesn't mean don't buy a pound, but maybe think a long time about five.

Posted 1 year ago #
  21. admiral

admiral

Login to Send PM

Mate I am not new to pipe smoking
    Cant compare with your experience but still got some 15 years with the pipe

Posted 1 year ago #
  22. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

admiral, I guess I said it wrong, understood you weren't new to pipes, but meant that everyone's tastes change. Irrelevant but interesting, it was said that one of General Grant's great gifts was that he could write orders briefly so they could not be misread nor misunderstood. This written mishap illustrates that I don't have his gift.

Posted 1 year ago #
  23. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

...then there's Mac Baren Latakia Flake, hot pressed, Latakia "in the front seat" as they say, Virginias "working in the back," Orientals "popping up from time to time," a good smoke for Latakia fans who love flake and nuanced blends.

Posted 1 year ago #
  24. tslex

tslex

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

It was a long time ago. Probably some Dunhill mixture. But the love affair continues.

29 out of 30 bowls I smoke have some Latakia in them. And most of those have lots.

Posted 1 year ago #
  25. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony you need to change your avatar back to what it was. It's completely thrown me off.

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 1 year ago #
  26. anthonyrosenthal74

anthonyrosenthal74

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Anthony you need to change your avatar back to what it was. It's completely thrown me off.
    I look completely different!

Posted 1 year ago #
  27. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I must have read every tin description on P&C back in June when I placed my first order.

It was the John Cotton's series that I decided to get, one tin of each.

The first one I popped was JC #1 and that was my first whiff of Latakia.

I've had maybe half a dozen lat blends since. I agree with MSO. I really like it in a more subtle position rather than taking the lead, but I have liked them all, so far.

I've been stuck on stupid with VA flakes lately, but it's about time to pop another lat open...

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 1 year ago #
  28. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently bought a pipe from another forum member and he tossed in a pouch of tobacco at random.

It was John Bull Royal English. That was the first lat blend I saw after the last post here, so now it's smoldering in my Savinelli 111KS.

I must say, it's very pleasant. As per the reviews, mild lat with sweet and nutty components. For a $2.5 pouch, check it out on yer next order!

Posted 1 year ago #
  29. ben88

ben88

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Peter Stokkebye English Luxury. Many Latakia mixtures were tried.
    Winners - BB1938 for a soft smoke and 10 to Midnight for a Lat forward. Later one needs to be aged. At least 1 year.

Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch’entrate
    Posted 1 year ago #
  30. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My Latakia love affair is toning down. In spite of the fact that I share a passion for the Royal Yacht - forming a "Yacht Advocates" group within a group with pal Death Metal, I still smoke English blends on a daily basis. On the other hand, I am no longer very inclined to smoking lat bombs, like Ashton's Artisan's Blend for example. Latakia is good, but exaggerating is not

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 1 year ago #
  31. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In the past Dunhill and other latakia mixtures were my basic everyday tobacco,(though back then I did not smoke pipe ever day but in between with cigarettes)the something strange happened and any blend with orient,Virginia latakia leaf started to taste me,as punchy and overwhelming which resulted I stopped smoking them giving a promise wont buy them in the future no a single tin,Instead I proceeded further with Kentucky Dark fired and other Burley forwards,Nonetheless,not long ago,after reading several hundred positive reviews on Mc Barens HH Vintage Syrian I thought since this HH is supposed to contain less punchy Syrian latakia maybe its time to give this leaf a try once again,(of course in much lesser quantities than back then)

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 1 year ago #
  32. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

paulie66scandinavian yes ... I have one cellared since June, and since I over exaggerated with latakia over the past year, I have not opened it yet. When my latakia crave comes back, I will start with that. Although on a more sweet note, I have just popped a frog morton the original the other day, and that is quite delicious. So ... yeah HH Vintage Syrian is going to age some more

Posted 1 year ago #
  33. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Madox07: Do you think these MB Vintage Syrians do age well?

Posted 1 year ago #
  34. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

From what I have read and talked to people, they say that on average an English blend benefits from a couple of years of aging and that's mostly due to the latakia. Now, I am not sure what to say as far as that goes ... but certainly after a while they sure don't seem to get better in taste, they just seem to enter this linear thing. I intend to keep mine another year tops, and then pop it open. Virginias on the other hand, now I had a totally different experience with that.

Posted 1 year ago #
  35. unkleyoda

unkleyoda

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

My first was summer of 2016, it was 965. It's still my favorite tobacco, let alone Latakia blend.

So you say you can drink? Well, I'm from Wisconsin. Try to keep up.
    Posted 1 year ago #
  36. snowyowl

snowyowl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

1966, Balkan Sobrainie in my first no name briar. My fellow canoeist sent me off to college with a new Charatan pipe and a couple of white pouches of this stuff.
    Latakia forward blends have been my goto blends every since.

"If you see something... pipe up."
    Posted 1 year ago #
  37. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks,Madox07. I hardly would a've been buying any If these HH Vintages weren't containing this supposedly softer Syrian latakia coupled with some kentucky yet oriental,,

Posted 1 year ago #
  38. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Give me Latakia or give me death!" Ok, a bit over the top, but there's a lot to love with some Lat. included.

Posted 1 year ago #
  39. User has not uploaded an avatar

molach95

Login to Send PM

My first taste of Latakia was a sample of Dunhill's Durbar. I remember thinking "this is what I imagined pipe smoking would be like before I started". I also immediately got the urge to go outside because I kept smelling old family bonfires every time I retrohaled.

Posted 1 year ago #
  40. dquisenberry

dquisenberry

Login to Send PM

Love love love syrian? Did I express my feelings for Syrian Latakia?

I have a fair amount squirreled away. I also have a Heavy Latakia bulk blend aged about 10 years from a local shop. Several pounds of it. I mix a little of it in my latakia blends that use Cyprian and each takes on a new taste!

Posted 1 year ago #
  41. coyja

coyja

Login to Send PM

I've only recently come back to pipe smoking (also previous a Capt Black exclusive smoker, years ago) and Nightcap initially was a little too much for me, Blackhouse riding the edge, White Knight pretty decent, Fusilier's Ration is great, and Frog Morton Cellar is where I land mostly.

So far... this month. LOL

Posted 1 year ago #
  42. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Something I have only recently discovered, myself: McClelland - Frog Morton (Craftsbury Series). Described:

An exceptionally dark, rich and full Latakia Mixture designed for those who desire really satisfying Latakia flavor but want a pipe tobacco soft enough to smoke anytime. It took Frog Morton four years to perfect this unique blend designed for smoking in quiet serenity. It is his proudest achievement.

I give this blend a big thumbs up ! I bit tricky to keep lit, but other than that I am pretty satisfied with the taste. And the strength is mild to medium, precisely as reviewed on tobaccoreview.com I certainly recommend this as a starter coyja, especially since night cap seems overwhelming to you...

Posted 1 year ago #
  43. User has not uploaded an avatar

Joe Blow

Login to Send PM

Nightcap was my first. And I've loved it ever since.
    But there are also so many other brilliant blends as well, with Maltese Falcon being an absolute gem.
    I find the Frog Mortons reasonably nice, but a bit to light on, with a subtle nuance and lacking in 'oomph'
    I've never found a Latakia blend I didn't like... But Bengal Slices leaves a strange aftertaste that I'm still not sure I like.

Posted 1 year ago #
  44. gkr1

gkr1

Login to Send PM

HH Syrian currently, anything with Syrian Lat! Have few aged tins of Across the Pond and # Oaks Syrian still to audition.

Posted 1 year ago #

You must log in to post.

banner

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   kenbarnes, danish, jaytex969, lukasstrifeson, jiminks, alaskanpiper