PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I know mikethompson and maybe others don't favor bamboo as a pipe material. I certainly respect others' taste, and if it's unappealing to you, it just is. I never owned a bamboo shank pipe, and might never have gotten one, but fishnbanjo posted so many beauties featuring bamboo that I relented somewhat, such that I bought a bamboo shank pipe from the late great Bob Hayes at the TAPS pipe show in the last hours of sales. He made me an offer I couldn't possibly refuse, and the pipe is excellent. No, I haven't bought any other bamboo shank pipes, but between fish' and the late Bob Hayes, they now have a special place, one place, on my rack.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I personally like the look of a bamboo shank. My issue has been that they always seem to have a metal rod through them for support. See, one of the beauties of bamboo and why it is used on the kiseru pipe in Japan is that they are a natural filter and absorb moisture. If you block out the bamboo with metal I am not sure why we are using it, but for aesthetics alone. So my only bamboo pipes currently are kiseru pipes.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
It took me a while to warm up to bamboo shanks. But I now have a few and love them. They are lighter weight for sure. And bamboo is fun to photograph, lots of character and nuance. But in a way it's like true love, it has to feel right and the heart wants what the heart wants.
I'm a diggin the boo.

k7o2ipD.jpg

They tried to make us like albatross bones, and a few various other materials, but it is interesting that bamboo was the material that stuck in the trending category. I love it myself, with about five pipes with bamboo. But, it is interesting that it was bamboo over so many other materials, carbon fiber, threaded rod, albatross bones, etc...
To me they have that Gilligan's Island feel to them, and I like to accompany my bamboo shanked pipes with a frozen concoction in a coconut shell, a vintage white antique radio, and a redheaded in a bikini. Cheers!!

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
But a follow up to MSO489's OP. What do you all think about the new age Roman Kovalev, "Doctor's" pipes style bamboo shanks? I have not warmed up to those as much. And I see lots of people going for that style lately.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
I love this shot of bamboo from a pipe workshop/studio. Just waiting to be picked over for production.

WunEMkl.jpg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Following up on warren's post, I think bamboo for a shank is a high level of difficulty in getting a pipe to integrate well visually, so it doesn't look like various pieces pasted together. I think that's what sold me the Bob Hayes pipe, beyond the price. Bob Hayes was an artist with his carving and got it just right. When it works, it is pretty remarkable, but I've seen some high-end pipes where they just don't get it right. More don't than do.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Go ahead... try to hate them.
You heard me! TRY, I say!!!
Good luck
[still waiting]
Yeah, that's what I thought. :mrgreen:
P1020872.jpg

Best-Jones-Bamboo.jpg

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I don't get too emotional with regard to pipes. I don't hate bamboo accents but, I'm certainly not enamored with them either. To me they look "cobbled " together. Even with outstanding workmanship they are still off putting to me. I can admire the craftsmanship but, not the "look."

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
npod, I have all kinds of bamboo shank pipes of various genus of bamboo. I think Roman Kovalev (Dr’s Pipe) shows off his bamboo skill in choosing a particular shank to fit the bowl he is working on, his stem work is beyond reproach and his integrated bronze adapter fitting is unique as his acrylic work filling the bamboo leaf nodes. The smoking quality of his pipes is well regarded and I found myself putting his Crazy Army Apple with bamboo shank into my rotation after just the third smoke, regards.

banjo
46068408712_19de3f8624_z_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.