A Kaywoodie Blowfish? Happy Fathers Day Indeed! (pics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Got a few goodies for Fathers Day today. Saw this old unusual Kaywoodie on eBay a few days ago, and showed it to my wife and she said I should get it for Fathers Day. She also found one of those tobacco scented candles in an antique mall that was unused for me too. So along with some new tobacco, the day is starting out good!
I don't know a lot about Kaywoodie pipes, but if I remember correctly if they have a four digit shape number and a four hole stinger with Drinkless stamped on it, they are usually an older pipe. I couldn't find much out about this shape however, but have never seen one before. It didn't need too much clean up either. Any thoughts?
dsc_0020-600x531.jpg

dsc_0027-600x303.jpg

dsc_0029-600x284.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I would call that shape a paneled apple just because a blowfish tends to be asymmetrical, but very lovely indeed! My wife got me a couple of pounds of Autumn Evening and am loving it as an early morning smoke. Happy Father's Day!

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
Nice pipe! I Don't know the number off the top of my head but I have the same pipe in a super grain model. That shape with the diamond stem was only made in 1957.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
23c is the shape code on mine. I also mistook the model as mine is actually a flame grain not super grain. The 4 dodget number makes it older then mine so they must have made that shape earlier as well.
Heres mine

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Nice one gambit! Nice color too. I get the feeling that Kaywoodie reused the shape a few different times over the years. Your stem logo looks right for the 1950s, but I also found this shape chart for 1947 shows that shape. but with the two digit number like yours. Cool stuff....
kwg-47app-i-11-436x600.jpg

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
They did use the bowl shape a few times i belive but the diamond shank is the rarity. I want to say they used 23c for the different shapes.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
According to the Kaywoodie shape chart in Hacker's "Pipe Collecting in the 20th Century" book, shape 23c was produced 1948-1955. The 4 digit shape number suggests it would have been made in 1948 making yours one of the last pipes made under the 4 digit numbering system.

Mike S.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"She also found one of those tobacco scented candles in an antique mall that was unused for me too."
Orley, I'm struggling to imagine what a used candle would actually look like :wink:
Gorgeous pipe by the way, reminds me of the City De Luxe 'Collegian' I posted about a while ago.
Regards,
Jay.

lifeon2

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 19, 2012
denver co
51 Screw in Drinkless Kaywoodie Super Grain, black vulcanite stem, Miami Brown finish
23C Twin panel apple, square shank
So you have a screw in drinkless fitting on a miami brown twin panel apple with a square shank. likely made about 1947. According to the information from Bill Fauerbach on my site

Status
Not open for further replies.